Basic Admin Problems

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Hello,
I hope someone can help me with some basic configuration issues. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I installed BlogEngine.net via my GoDaddy hosting panel and began the usual setup procedures. We able to download a new skin and change it, etc. However, when I added categories, they don't show up in the main blog page (it still only shows the "General" category in the "Categories" list). Also, testing email always fails, even though I have the right values in the requested fields. I suspected permission problems, but they look OK. GoDaddy says they can't help me, only BlogEngine can. But there doesn't seem to be a support email, etc. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
-Jim
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Also, testing email always fails, even though I have the right values in the requested fields. I suspected permission problems, but they look OK. GoDaddy says they can't help me, only BlogEngine can. But there doesn't seem to be a support email, etc. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
-Jim

For email with godaddy, take a look at this post: http://rtur.net/blog/post/2007/10/12/SMTP-with-GoDaddy.aspx
Mar 17, 2008 at 9:49 PM
thank you very much. that solved the email problem. any thoughts on the category issue? thanks again.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:15 AM

unvrslvd wrote:
thank you very much. that solved the email problem. any thoughts on the category issue? thanks again.

If categories missing only on this specific theme, you can compare it with one where they work. It might be that "generic" simply hard coded in the theme. If all themes can't display categories - whole different story...
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM
all themes can't display the categories.
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Can you restart the application and see if they show up? Also, try Windows Live Writer and see if the categories show up there. You can add categories through WLW as well. That will tell you if they are there and it is a caching issue.

unvrslvd wrote:
all themes can't display the categories.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am using a Mac so no Windows Live Writer. I asked GoDaddy to restart, we'll see what happens. Wondering... by default the blog directory was named "blogengine.net". Could that be an issue?