Settings Won't Save To DB

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jan 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Hi:

I recently upgraded from 1.6 to 2.0.  I was using XML before but now I decided to switch to DB.  I am using MSSQL 2005 and using ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5 with IIS7 on GoDaddy.  I also used the web.config that came with the setup and entered in my connection settings.  I logged in as admin and changed the password.

I have noticed several things that aren't working correctly.

-When I go to "Settings" and changed the blog name and then hit "Save Changes", the page appears to post back.  However, the changes I make are never saved.

-Under "Profile", I check another role to add.  I hit "Save Changes" and the check is undone.

-Under "Users" there are none.  I go to click "Add Users" and the page DOES NOT post back.

-When I try to add a post after filling in all the required info, the page DOES NOT post back.

Another thing to point out is that the dashboard has 0 for everything in the left column (Users, Posts). I was able to successfully delete the first post from the archive.aspx page as an admin but when I log in to my DB, it is still there.  I am also able to delete from the blogroll.  Since that change can be made to the DB, I am wondering why almost everything else is not.

Please let me know if this is enough info or if I should post any code.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM

It sounds like your site is on .NET 4.0, but I'm guessing you're using the .NET 3.5 web.config file.

In the BE 2.0 download, there's a /setup/SQLServer folder.  In there is a file named SQLServer.NET_4.0_Web.Config.  Copy that file to your root folder, delete the existing web.config file, and rename the one you copied over to web.config.  You'll need to adjust the DB connection string.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

After copying over the SQLServer.NET_4.0_Web.Config and changing the DB string, I get the 500 internal server error message.  I'm also pretty sure my site is not .NET 4.0 since it only listed ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Cza102282 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

After copying over the SQLServer.NET_4.0_Web.Config and changing the DB string, I get the 500 internal server error message.  I'm also pretty sure my site is not .NET 4.0 since it only listed ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5.

if it is the case you should not use QLServer.NET_4.0_Web.Config.

I;ve come across issue of not saving settings, but they disappear after restarting the web site. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I'm sorry I wrote that wrong.

I was never using the 4.0 web.config but rather the 'SQLServerWeb' config file.  I'm still getting the same results.

By restarting the website do you mean recycle the app pool?  I tried that and I'm still having the same issues.

What else can I try?

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Have you deployed jQuery?

see: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=242641