Can't save E-mail (or Advanced) settings - new install of 2.0.0.36

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM

When it loads the E-mail settings page, i see the error icon in the bottom corner of the browser.  Also, if i hit save, leave the page, and come back, the info isn't saved.

The error appears to be:

Line: 68
Char: 13
Code: 0
URI: http://www.g4ideas.com/admin/Settings/Email.aspx

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM

If you're using .NET 4.0, which I'm guessing you are, I would try using the .NET 4.0 web.config file included in the /setup folder.  The name of the file in the /setup folder is ASP.NET_4.0_Web.Config.  Copy it to the root folder, delete the existing web.config file, and rename the one you copied over to web.config.

Using the .NET 4.0 web.config file has been known to fix the problem where the settings are not saved.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM
dgoldcp wrote:

When it loads the E-mail settings page, i see the error icon in the bottom corner of the browser.  Also, if i hit save, leave the page, and come back, the info isn't saved.

The error appears to be:

Line: 68
Char: 13
Code: 0
URI: http://www.g4ideas.com/admin/Settings/Email.aspx

Tried to follow the link, but failed to log in.

Can you attach the StackTrace?

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Thanks, but I am not using .NET 4.0 - webhost4life doesn't support it yet.

I will try to figure out how to get a stacktrace, but when I went to the lines these message point to, they all seem to be JQuery calls (on for cookie something and another for a object save I think).  I will try to get more info on my side.  Thanks.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM

1 error is - $.cookie is not a function (admin.js)

2nd error is - $(frm).validate is not a function (Email.aspx)

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM
dgoldcp wrote:

1 error is - $.cookie is not a function (admin.js)

2nd error is - $(frm).validate is not a function (Email.aspx)

Are you sure you've installed jQuery?

Have you installed from msideploy or the source?

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I used microsoft WebMatrix - I was surprised it mostly worked - How do I install jQuery to a hosted account? - Thanks a lot!

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM
dgoldcp wrote:

I used microsoft WebMatrix - I was surprised it mostly worked - How do I install jQuery to a hosted account? - Thanks a lot!

jQuery in included the source, in the 'lib' folder (at the same level as BlogEngine folder). You need to make sure 'lib' folder is also deploy.

BTW. I suggest you use Visual Studio Express for BlogEngine.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Thanks.  I found the lib dir in the source zip and then uploaded the folder to the same level as the Bin directory.  Do you think this will work or are there other steps to link in this dir?  Thanks.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM

That didn't work, so I opened up the project in VS10, built it, and so far I didn't get the error locally.  So, now I am using Copy website in VS10.  I will see.  Thanks.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Finally I got it - Copy website didn't work, but Publish did - no more errors (yet) - thanks!

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM
dgoldcp wrote:

Finally I got it - Copy website didn't work, but Publish did - no more errors (yet) - thanks!

Note that Copy Web Site did not copy the 'lib' folder.