Display Widgets in their own page?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Jan 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I have been playing around with BE 2.0 and think it's fantastic! 

I have been looking for a Theme that would display the posts in a single wide column with widgets on their own page.  All I can find are themes that have 2 columns (posts on the left and widgets in a smaller column to the right of that).  So I decided to try and customize the standard theme and have it displaying a single wide column/page for the posts but I cannot figure out how to have widgets show up in a new aspx page.

The reason I am looking to do this is I want to be able to include wide screen shots and photos in the posts and I need extra width on the page to do this.  So I was thinking that in the Menu I could add a link to a widgets page or even list the names of the widgets I want to include in the menu and have them open in their own separate page.  What would be even cooler is a Widgets Dashboard where I could have several widgets displaying on their own page in 2 or 3 columns instead of 1 long column.

Does anyone have a theme like this or any ideas how I can do this?

Sam

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Can anybody at least point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Like this http://www.sahcinfo.org/membership_applicationcopy.aspx with no sidebar?

If you want the code to do this, let me now, I got it on this forum from Ben a contributor to BE.

Here is a theme that woruld do that, just remove the widgets from the sidebar and put the at the bottom.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, basically like that site with no sidebar.  I was already able to accomplish a page like above by setting the first column to 100% and the second column to 0%.  

Now I am looking for an example of a separate aspx page that will only display a Sidebar item like Tag cloud or Category list.  That might be a page like http://www.sahcinfo.org/tagcloud.aspx that inherits the same theme as the main blog.

I was also thinking it might be cool to have a sidebar/widets page that could be configured like a Dashboard of several widgets.  Since most of the widgets are narrow in size, this dashboard page of widgets might have 2 or 3 columns of widgets.  Then you could place several widgets on this page in any column.  I have never seen this before on a blog but it might be interesting to try...

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM

This is the code that removes the sidebar from the page, it goes the .cs page

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using BlogEngine.Core;
using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls;

public partial class membership_applicationcopy : BlogBasePage
{

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        PlaceHolder phSidebar = Master.FindControl("phSidebar") as PlaceHolder;
        if (phSidebar != null)
            phSidebar.Visible = false;
    }

[System.Web.Services.WebMethodAttribute(), System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethodAttribute()]
    public static string GetDynamicContent(string contextKey)
    {
        return default(string);
    }

}