"Powered by BlogEngine.NET"

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Okay guys, I found out why my blog gets SO MUCH SPAM COMMENTS... After much site analysis I found that people who are spam commenting are searching on the "Powered by BlogEngine.NET" term to find blogs.

I never want to remove this phrase because you guys deserve it up there with all the hard labor but is there a way around this? I was thinking a clickable image to the site? Is there another way?

Would this be acceptable?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Powered by is not required, you can remove it all together or replace with image and call it "monkey.png" - or whatever you want it to call :)

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am still trying my best to navigate the files... where would I go to edit that bottom section?

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Most of the time it is placed in the theme's master page:  /themes/yourtheme/site.master

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 7:50 PM

At the very bottom most of the time:

<p id="footer">
        Powered by <a href="http://www.dotnetblogengine.net">BlogEngine.NET</a> <%=BlogSettings.Instance.Version() %><br />
        Theme by <a href="http://madskristensen.net">Mads Kristensen</a>
      </p>

Do a search in your site master for "Powered by"

Java Blog

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I've also found that "Notify me when new comments are added" is a common SPAM searching method so I changed it on the App_GlobalResources/labels.resx file to something like "Let me know when someone else posts" and that stopped them.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I'd just discovered this, also.  Basically, just change as much as you can from the generic words/phrases and hopefully that will lose a lot of spam interest.

Now I've got to work out why a few people are trying to log in to my blog with similar usernames and random passwords... someone has tried the same combo at least 5 times over the past week :s

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM

@MGD_King - Thanks for that additional hint!

@Creepin - How do you know that someone tried to log in? Where do you find that information?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM
fafhrdd wrote:

@MGD_King - Thanks for that additional hint!

@Creepin - How do you know that someone tried to log in? Where do you find that information?

Would like to know this too :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM

How To Get Rid of BlogEngine.Net Blog Comment Spam?

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Also remove or change "Notify me when new comments are added"
The above in quotes is a footprint of Blog Engine Powered blog that spammers are using like wild fire these days..

fafhrdd wrote:

Okay guys, I found out why my blog gets SO MUCH SPAM COMMENTS... After much site analysis I found that people who are spam commenting are searching on the "Powered by BlogEngine.NET" term to find blogs.

I never want to remove this phrase because you guys deserve it up there with all the hard labor but is there a way around this? I was thinking a clickable image to the site? Is there another way?

Thanks!

May 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM
jha_jee wrote:
Also remove or change "Notify me when new comments are added"
The above in quotes is a footprint of Blog Engine Powered blog that spammers are using like wild fire these days..
On a second note..Apply Recaptcha Extension to your blog post to kick out automated comment bots..
fafhrdd wrote:

Thanks!

May 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM

The best way would be to write it with JavaScript.

Free BlogEngine.Net Hosting
High-Quality Windows Hosting

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

SPAM detected :)

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Is there any moderator in here?

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM

When you receive hundreds of comments per day, comment moderation becomes difficult.

Take a look here : http://www.bloggersonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=104.0 

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

LisaAddison  another spammer.