Feb 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Bump

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Bump

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

bump

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:05 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Here a good discussion on this: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/46681?ProjectName=blogengine

A trackback is one of three types of linkback methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking, and so referring, to their articles. Some weblog software, such as WordPress, Drupal and Movable Type, supports automatic pingbacks where all the links in a published article can be pinged when the article is published. The term is used colloquially for any kind of linkback.

A trackback is an acknowledgment. This acknowledgment is sent via a network signal (ping) from the originating site to the receiving site. The receptor often publishes a link back to the originator indicating its worthiness. Trackback requires both sites to be trackback-enabled in order to establish this communication.

Trackbacks are used primarily to facilitate communication between blogs; if a blogger writes a new entry commenting on, or referring to, an entry found at another blog, and both blogging tools support the TrackBack protocol, then the commenting blogger can notify the other blog with a "TrackBack ping"; the receiving blog will typically display summaries of, and links to, all the commenting entries below the original entry. This allows for conversations spanning several blogs that readers can easily follow.

A pingback is one of three types of linkbacks, methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking to, or referring to their articles. Some weblog software, such as Movable Type, Serendipity, WordPress and Telligent Community, support automatic pingbacks where all the links in a published article can be pinged when the article is published. A number of more advanced content management systems support pingbacks through the use of addons or extensions, including Drupal and Joomla.

Essentially, a pingback is an XML-RPC request (not to be confused with an ICMP ping) sent from Site A to Site B, when an author of the blog at Site A writes a post that links to Site B. However, it also requires a hyperlink. When Site B receives the notification signal, it automatically goes back to Site A checking for the existence of a live incoming link. If that link exists, the pingback is recorded successfully. This makes pingbacks less prone to spam than trackbacks. Pingback-enabled resources must either use an X-Pingback header or contain a <link> element to the XML-RPC script.

Java Blog

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Ok, so i think i understand how it works.

So basically someone links to your article, and their blog and your blog both support trackbacks. The referring blog sends a trackback to the original blog, and if that fails it sends a pingback, correct?

Now as i understand, a pingback is just a link to the referring site, while a trackback posts a link AND a summery?

As for pings, what do they do exactly? I know you can add sites to the list you want to ping, but i dont know what it does.

Thanks

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Bump

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Bump

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Ping Services

Using the Ping Service, BlogEngine.NET will automatically ping one or more servers each time a new post is created or an old one is updated. An XML-RPC signal is sent to one or more "ping servers", which can then generate a list of blogs that have new material.

BlogEngine.NET comes with several preset servers to make sure your blog posts gets indexed as soon as they are created/updated.

Adding a new Ping URL

Adding a new server is straight forward, just copy-paste the URL of the Ping service you want to inform and click "add".

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=PingServices

http://madskristensen.net/post/Ping-using-XML-RPC-in-ASPNET.aspx

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Ok, so i think i understand how it works.

So basically someone links to your article, and their blog and your blog both support trackbacks. The referring blog sends a trackback to the original blog, and if that fails it sends a pingback, correct?

Now as i understand, a pingback is just a link to the referring site, while a trackback posts a link AND a summery?

As for pings, what do they do exactly? I know you can add sites to the list you want to ping, but i dont know what it does.

Is this correct?

And where can i find a list of ping servers? That link leads to an empty wikipedia page.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:12 PM

http://joethewebguy.net/2010/big-list-of-ping-servers/

You can also do a web search for "Ping Servers"  or "Ping Server List" 

the above link is a place to start at. :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Thanks, i just put those into my blog. Can you please tell me if my understand of trackback vs pingback is correct? (posted earlier)

Thanks