Web App Conversion, MissingManifestResourceException

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Feb 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I converted the blogengine website into a web app as per the instructions here: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=43154. I changed:

<controls>
        <add assembly="MyProject" namespace="Controls" tagPrefix="blog"/>
        <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
        <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      </controls>
to:
<controls>
        <add assembly="MyProject" namespace="App_Code.Controls" tagPrefix="blog"/>
        <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
        <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      </controls>

Now the project is throwing a could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. I have my resources in the App_GlobalResources folder and each of the labels files have a designer file attached.
It is for the label for logging on in the site.master file: 
aLogin.InnerText = Resources.labels.login;
I can't use the site at all right now and I can't find where the resourcemanager is created to fix it. Does anyone have a fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Not to oversimplify this but the basic problem is labels under Resources cannot be accessed when the WebSite has been converted to Web Project.

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM

When you convert to web application, every resource file gets compiled and corresponding design file (xx.design.cs) added. If you missed this step and made change to web.config after converting to web application, your source files (.resx) simply ignored.

In that thread you mentioned, check the last post - it points to converted solution you can download.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Thanks for you link, I download the project and it runs the first time but once you open the files, it throws a lot of errors like Ids not being visible in the current context. I'm not sure if this behavior is intentional or if there is a problem. It can't seem to identify the type 'Page'. Is there a solution to this?