Blogengine 2.0 problems

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Hi,

i am new to the .net stuff  so im not to sure what im doing.

just before christmas, i installed version 1.6 and everything worked from the get go, but unzip and upload and done.

I have now seen version 2.0 has been release so i though i would upgrade and check out the new features.

so i read the instructions to upgrade which was simple enough but now the website is running slow and some pages dont even work anymore.

http://hugheshouseonline.co.uk/ thats the link

the contact page doesnt show

trying to open a post doesnt work

viewing the comments pages dont work

un/approve comments dont work anymore

also when i try adding a new post and press the publish it just says page cannot be found but it does publish the info

thats all i have found at the moment but i an unsure why these pages are not working anymore

i have also tried to delete all the files and start with a fresh install but there are stil lthe same problems.

i also reinstalled a back up of v1.6 and everything worked fine

so can somone help me out and advise what i am doing wrong?

Regards,

Martin

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Can anyone help out a newbie here?

i read that BlogEngine was thriving and has a massive helpful community :-(

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM

One thing to look at is "Add date to post links" in admin settings, but if that test post is a new one that probably won't make any difference. Do you see any extensions if navigate to extensions tab in the admin? It could be that you messed up files during upgrade. Worse case I would try clean install making sure it works out of the box, then added old data files.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Dear rtur,

thank you for replying, its much appreciated.

However, the "add date to post links" is unchecked and when i checked the box it didnt make any differance.

also, i can see 11x extensions in the admin panel, i also tried disableing them all but it didnt make any differance either.

first off i did an upgrade from 1.6 to 2.0 and it didnt work so i started with a fresh install and it made no differance, it had these same problems.

so i am open to sugestions to try and get this to work

maybe its the host? but v1.6 worked fine so surely v2.0 should work fine

is there anyway for me to know what the error is? because the page cannot be displayed isnt really helpful at all

king regards,

Martin

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Just to make sure we on the same page - clean 2.0 install did not work either and it is not an update but installation issue, right?

To see actual errors you can add elmah to your site - here is how. This should show exactly what problem is.

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

rtur, you are a star.

Yes this is a clean install and it has the exact same problems as the upgraded version had as well.

maybe the following will help you out in identifying the problem im having

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

<!-- [NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.get_MaxLogEntries() in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:line 132 at App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.get_RecaptchaLoggingEnabled() in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:line 156 at App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.OnUnload(EventArgs e) in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:line 521 at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Page.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestCleanup() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at ASP.post_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69052bca\1456d021\App_Web_wqgdg2sa.8.cs:line 0 at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) --><!-- This error page might contain sensitive information because ASP.NET is configured to show verbose error messages using <customErrors mode="Off"/>. Consider using <customErrors mode="On"/> or <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> in production environments.-->

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Line 130:            {
Line 131:                var settings = ExtensionManager.GetSettings("Recaptcha");
Line 132:                return Convert.ToInt32(settings.GetSingleValue("MaxLogEntries"));
Line 133:            }
Line 134:        }

Source File: e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs    Line: 132

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.get_MaxLogEntries() in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:132
   App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.get_RecaptchaLoggingEnabled() in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:156
   App_Code.Controls.RecaptchaControl.OnUnload(EventArgs e) in e:\DOMAINS\h\hugheshouseonline.co.uk\user\htdocs\App_Code\Extensions\Recaptcha\RecaptchaControl.cs:521
   System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) +252
   System.Web.UI.Control.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) +188
   System.Web.UI.Page.UnloadRecursive(Boolean dispose) +23
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestCleanup() +43
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +242
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +80
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
   ASP.post_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69052bca\1456d021\App_Web_wqgdg2sa.8.cs:0
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +181
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618

also see this page for the log from elmah: http://hugheshouseonline.co.uk/elmah.axd/detail?id=1f35aa46-dd63-429c-ab93-c68065fcff7c

Regards,

Martin

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Martin, try disable Recaptcha from extensions list (tools/disable). I suspect it is not necessarily Recaptcha's fault but first make sure it runs into error with Recaptcha out of the picture.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM

hhhuuuuummmm there is no recaptcha in the extensions menu

all i have is the following:

BBCode 1.0 Converts BBCode to XHTML in the comments  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source
 Edit
CodeFormatterExtension 0.1 Converts text to formatted syntax highlighted code (beta).  www.manoli.net   Tools 
Disable
 View source
ResolveLinks 1.5 Auto resolves URLs in the comments and turn them into valid hyperlinks.  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source
SendCommentMail 1.3 Sends an e-mail to the blog owner whenever a comment is added  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source
SendPings 1.3 Pings all the ping services specified on the PingServices admin page and send track- and pingbacks  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source
Smilies 1.3 Converts ASCII smilies into real smilies in the comments  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source
BreakPost 1.4 Breaks a post where [more] is found in the body and adds a link to full post  BlogEngine.NET   Tools 
Disable
 View source

this is everything from a fresh copy downloaded from the BE website

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM

It is interesting. Then go to App_Code/Extensions and remove "Recaptcha" folder all together. See if it makes any difference.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM

removed the recaptcha file App_Code/Extensions and get the following error:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'blog:RecaptchaControl'.

Source Error:

Line 73: 	  <label for="cbNotify" style="width:auto;float:none;display:inline;padding-left:5px"><%=Resources.labels.notifyOnNewComments %></label><br />
Line 74:  
Line 75: 	  <blog:RecaptchaControl ID="recaptcha" runat="server" TabIndex="8" />
Line 76:      <blog:SimpleCaptchaControl ID="simplecaptcha" runat="server" TabIndex="8" />
Line 77: 

i then went on to remove the 2 lines in red + a load of other lines from the user controls/commentview files and it seems to work.

dont get any errors that i notice, but this now leaves me open to mass spammers

so the next question is, why are the recaptcha and simple captcha extensions not loading the the extension manager?

any more ideas that i can try to get this sorted out?

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Has this been resolved?

As I was reading the remarks on the "clean install", I wonder if you actually did a clean install and installed version 2.0 in a new directory, rather in the same directory as 1.6? 

Coming from an IT background a clean install means exactly that - fresh install after removing all other versions, or be sure to install in a new directory and ensure no system files are written to the same directory.

I performed a new install with 2.0, with 1.6 still installed and had no problems.  If installed in the same directory, there might be some files you did not uninstall, and they may be causing the problems you are experiencing.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Gljaeger

it was installed in the root directory the same as the 1.6 version

so i deleted everything from the 1.6 version (so the root directory had nothing in it) and then uploaded the new 2.0 version into the same directory

does that help at all?

you will have to forgive me but i havnt tinkered with asp.net