Better Management of Page Blocks

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM
I have been tempted to upgrade my blog to the latest development bits but I keep running into an issue. It's the same issue that I experienced when switching from one theme to another; I have to go and add/remove the components I want displayed on the blog. This problem is going to hit everyone when they switch over to BlogEngine version v1.4 because of the introduction of Widgets. So this started me thinking that BlogEngine could really use a way to programatically configure what items are displayed on the blog. For instance, if you only want to show Archive, BlogRoll, and About Author then you could unselect all of the other components. Placement in the sidepanel could be determined by using an up/down selector. This would also allow for the visitor to dynamically select, and store their choice via profiles, which profile they want to see when looking at your blog.

Adding this feature wouldn't be all that hard but would require some changes to the core files to support the functionality. What does everyone think about this idea?
Mar 27, 2008 at 2:27 AM
I think it's a great idea.

Very WP-like gasp