Login fails when moved to new server

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Hi,

I have moved my BlogEngine.Net 1.6 site to a new server. It is using Xml as the data source.

All pages seem to load fine except when I try and login. I am returned to the login screen but with no error message appearing on the login screen.

The site on the new server is on a preview url : http://IPADDRESS/$SitePReview/domainname/

Will this have any effect on the login? If so not sure why as the rest of the front end of the site seems to be fine.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

thanks,

Nick

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

If not is it possible to create a new .net page that forces a login to occur? How would this be done?

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Is the application pool on the new server running the same version of ASP.NET ?   If the application pool on the new server is 4.0 and it was 2.0/3.5 on the old server, there's a remote possibility the default password hashing (which is different in .NET 4.0) could cause a problem ... or be incompatible with the hashed passwords you brought over.  This is maybe unlikely though.

After you login and are returned to the login screen, what is the URL?  After doing this, if you go to the front of the site, does it appear you are logged in ... i.e. are the widgets editable?

You could clear the password out of the datastore (users.xml in the App_Data folder if using XML or be_Users table if using a DB) by setting the password to an empty string, then restart the blog (make any change to the web.config file such as adding a space), and then you should be able to log in using the default password of "admin".