Extremely long posts

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I got errors when trying to save long posts. On IE, an alert box showed saying that "The script running may cause your computer to be unresponsive...". On Chrome, it did not complain but the post was not saved. The post I would like to save was over 22,000 words. Could some one tell me the cause of this problem?

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

My experience with IE saying "The script running may cause your computer to be unresponsive..." deals with the way IE processing information.  What version are you using?  Can you try the IE9 beta an get a different result.  What happens in Firefox?

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:51 AM

I am using IE8, will try IE9 later. On Firefox, the post is not saved. Once I click the save button, the browser is responsive but never redirect you to post detail page.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:45 AM

With IE9RC I was able to successfully save a post with 22,000 words although the screen doesn't refresh after I hit the Save button. Saved it like 5 times before I decided to go check and there it was, 5 times.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Well is seem as though the magic numbers are 17312 Words, 98903 Characters.  I did some testing and it seems to be more on the character count rather than the word count.  As soon as it dropped to 98902 it would save.  The actual charater count with the html was 101625.

I cannot tell you why but that is what I found.  The data type for this field in the DB is ntext and it should allow for this size.  Are you using a DB or XML to store your post?

Maybe one of the developers will pipe in.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:56 AM

I use XML. I'm wondering if it's a limitation with TinyMCE?