integrate BlogEngine into existing page

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Mar 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Hello All,

Is it possible to put BlogEngine into an existing page in my application? I have a taqbstrip across the top (site master page) and two contentplaceholders. When clicking on the "Blog" tab, I would like to put the blogEngine into the second contentplaceholder.

I will create tables in my existing SQL Server database and use the Membership/Roles already set up.

I apologize if this is a really dumb question.

Regards, Penn

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I have located a couple of threads that might apply but they still aren't what I am looking for.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Regards, Penn

http://www.ajaymatharu.com/integrating-blogengine-into-an-existing-site/

This post recommends many changes to the web.config file. That is fine, if necessary, but none of the other posts suggest this and I'm still not clear on how to place BE into a content placeholder. Should I create a new master page inheriting "BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.BlogBasePage"?

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/20397

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM

This isn't much help but I thought I'd share it with you anyway.

It's probably better to integrate your site into blogengine.

That's what I've done and it's worked out quite nicely.  I used BE as a website framework and on any custom pages I inherit BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.BlogBasePage instead Page.

You could try to update the /themes/standard/site.master to match or inherit your existing master page?

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:03 AM
Edited Mar 16, 2011 at 4:04 AM

There is one quicker way if your blog is hosted at somewhere else. You can get the feed of your blog and use the feed in iFrame.

Also you can apply some CSS and give it to proper look and feel same as your site.

I know this is not what you want but it can be used as a alternative. I will check and get back to you if there is one quicker solution for other detail on blog Engine check out my blog - blogEngineWall.com

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Good idea jitendraapi

Just came across FeedBurner which recently got baught by Google.

there you can put your feed url in and there's an option in there that will spit out a js script that'll render your feed in html which you can then css 

works like a charm for me so now I kinda have multi site blogs with a single blogengine instance organised via categories.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM
sidli wrote:

This isn't much help but I thought I'd share it with you anyway.

It's probably better to integrate your site into blogengine.

That's what I've done and it's worked out quite nicely.  I used BE as a website framework and on any custom pages I inherit BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.BlogBasePage instead Page.

You could try to update the /themes/standard/site.master to match or inherit your existing master page?

Sidli,

I have been trying to create a custom page, inheriting the BlogBasepage, as you suggested, but am not having any luck.  Would it be possible for you to post an example page code with .cs file showing how to do this?

Thanks,

Chris