Photo Gallery additions

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Apr 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM
I have recently started using BlogEngine.net on my personal site but wanted a photo gallery. I read several ways people have done them before but none seemed to fit my needs. Being a developer then, I wrote my own. Here are the requirements I had for it.

• Photo Albums are not posts or pages. They are a separate type
  • List of Albums is dynamic. All I need to do is upload the photos and they would appear.
  • A SiteMap provider so I can add them to the menu on my site.
  • Fit the BlogEngine style of programming.

Here is what I have added.

• GalleryProvider base class along with derived classes for both XML storage and reading an RSS feed from Picasa Web Albums.
  • GalleryProviderSection that reads from web.config (along with the collection class).
  • PhotoAlbum page derived from the base blog page.
  • New HTTP Handler for lightbox (lightbox.axd) as I was not storing my images in App_Data\Files.
  • And others I can't remember off the top of my head (I am at work right now and don't have the code in front of me).

There were only two changes I had to make to the core code file directly. One was to mark BlogSetting as partial so I could add a second file for it, and I added one function to another file (don't remember which right now).

So I am looking for feedback and (if people would like) how I submit the code for possible inclusion in future versions. The web site is http://darrynglass.com/
Apr 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM
Looks very promising, Would be even more appealing (to me) if you could extract IPTC data to display a description per image.
Feb 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Just finished off a Picasa Photo Extension, enjoy