Extending Search to cover additional pages

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Hi all,

I have created a site using BE 2 with additional pages in the root folder and a separate navigation bar. How do I extend the search widget to pick up these pages as well?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Hi again,

Any thoughts on whether this is possible would be greatly welcomed, otherwise my site will have to have two search functions, one for the blog and one for the rest of the site. The blog only forms a part of my site so using the built in pages template to create my other pages, which would be searchable, is not sufficient enough.

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I don't think it's possible to have BE search other parts of your site. As far as I know BE can only search wihtin itself and if unless you make the other part of your site a part of the BE application, it wont' be able to search it.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

In that case is it possible to make my additional pages part of the BE application, what do I need to inherit?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You could always take your existing pages and add them to the pages of BE. That would make them searchable.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

How would I do that.?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Create a new page in the Admin panel and then copy and paste your existing page (not the code) into the new page.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM

One quick solution for your problem is to use google custom search. 

Thanks, Jitendra

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM
MGD_King wrote:

Create a new page in the Admin panel and then copy and paste your existing page (not the code) into the new page.

MGD_King,

Unfortunately I have about 20 other web pages as part of my main site in addition to BE, so using the pages template is not feasible as I need more flexibility. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM
jitendraapi wrote:

One quick solution for your problem is to use google custom search. 

Thanks, Jitendra

Jitendra,

Thanks for your suggestion, but my site is fully secure and as i'm sure you know Google custom search will only work with anonymous sites as it needs to index your pages.

Thanks