Comment spam passing through

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Lately I am getting quite a few comment spam like the one below. The comments are all in the style of how they liked the blog. BS as I see it as the name and website url in the comment form are pointing to sites that sell stuff. So far they are from a couple ip addresses. I am using akismet and I modified the code where I have a css hidden real form field for the comment. (if the field is filled, it's a bot). So either the spam is coming from a real human or from a smart bot which can detect hidden fields. I am not sure why it's bypassing akismet. Maybe the comment looks real. No selling or url's in the comment.

Their comments never show up but I don't want to spend time reading these BS emails.

I have manual moderation on and I would like not to get emails if the comment are coming from blacklisted ip addresses.

Is ip blacklisting and manual moderation possible in v1.6? in v2.0? My code base has been modified a lot so an upgrade to 2.0 is not an easy task.

spam example:

Your blog is outrageous! I mean, Ive never been so entertained by anything in my life! Your vids are perfect for this. I mean, how did you manage to find something that matches your style of writing so well? Im really happy I started reading this today. Youve got a follower in me for sure!