BE GoDaddy Hosting and errors out of the blue

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Ok, I have Blog Engine installed on a hosting account.  This version of BE has been installed and running fine since June 2010.

However, it has recently started having an issue with viewing individual posts.

If you view my blog here, you can see that it loads properly. However, this article, Installing the KJS Single Carb Conversion Kit does not load at all.  All pages using the blog/post/year/month/day/blog post title.aspx format for urls have quit working.

Now, I personally have made no changes to my site or IIS settings.

In addition, the Comments Configuration page throws a 500 error.

I will not find the time to review this in depth until next week, so I figured I'd ask if anyone else has seen this issue and what their resolution was.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM

oh yeah, it may be good to mention that I use MySQL for the database.  So has anyone experienced a similar problem? 

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM

That is really weird. I would create "test" sub-directory alongside with "blog" and put fresh on it just to be sure that it is not environment change that break it down. If that works ok, point to to your DB and see if it still works etc. Not a fast fix, but it would show you where problem is.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM

ok, so really weird thing... I just went to my blog and it is working again.  This morning, it was not working.  I have not done anything to the BE installation, nor to the MySQL database.  I looked at the database today at work to see if there were any issues.  I also checked all the folder settings and they were correct.  I have done absolutely nothing to it...

Now, symptoms were weird... this morning, I could not pull up the Comments Configuration without an error occurring.  I also noted that the Extensions tab was completely blank.

When I viewed it a few minutes ago, the extensions tab is populated... and my reCaptcha control became disabled... when I entered the recaptcha settings, they reverted back to defaults????

Yesterday when I posted the original thread, I had zero spam, today I had over 500 spam comments.  I am using StopForumSpam, Askimet and reCaptcha, and as I previously mentioned, captcha was off when my BE came back online correctly.

I am a Software Engineer by trade, just really busy and knew I wouldn't get to look at this until the weekend.  I'll look into it a bit more over the weekend, but it is all weird.

Any thoughts?