XML vs Database

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Apr 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, I understand the advantages of using XML for storage, but what's a realistic limit for post numbers before considering using a database option?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

What are the advantages of using XML over a file database like SQL_CE, I think it is the best option?

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Just the simplicity of uploading a folder to the server.

I don't know, I'm willing to look into the options, but it would be good to have some pointers before doing so, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the alternatives and why is one better than another with BE?.

What's the case for SQL_CE over full blown SQL, for example and if your hosting provider gives you SQL, does that mean SQL_CE will work as well?

I understand the argument for using a database option, it's the established standard for storage and retrieval, but how does that apply to BE as regards caching and when does it become impractical to use XML alone?

I think the database option is the way to go, it has to be more scalable and ultimately more efficient, but at what point is it more efficient?

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Basically a file system database is just a file that is uploaded to the server just like an XML file, but it is much more robust and has all the benefits of a database.  Full blown SQL requires a more difficult setup on the server and unless one has a database that requires the larger size, etc, there is no advantage over SQL_CE as far as I can see.  SQL_CE is no harder to setup and use then XML.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM

That makes sense, thanks.