searching for syndication.axd

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Where does the rss feed "syndication.axd" reside? It appears if you type in the url: http://blog/syndication.axd

However I don't see it on the root level of blogengine. Thanks for any advice.
Apr 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Look in your web.config for the setting that has syndication.axd. Then look at what assembly it is a part of (should be something like BlogEngine.Core.HttpHandlers.... Find that file inside the BlogEngine Core source code (BusinessLogic\HttpHandlers\Syndication.axd I think, although I am running this off the top of my head).

That is the code that generates the axd handler.
Apr 7, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Also I'm using the XmlDocument to read the syndication.axd, Now each time I do this I get the error:

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized

Is it possible to assign anonymous access for the file that is generating the XML? Or is there a setting in the web.config file that would fix this problem?

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:16 PM
I was able to get the aspx page to load by disabling Integrated Windows Authentication and enabling anonymous browsing. The 401 was being thrown because of the doc.Load("http://mywebsite/syndication.axd") function in the code gets run as a non privileged user.

How can I call this function as an authenticated user so Integrated Windows Authentication can be turned on again? Thanks.
Apr 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM
We resolved this issue with the following steps

1. We assigned a XmlResolver property to the XmlDocument as follows:

System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver resolver = new XmlUrlResolver();

resolver.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

System.Xml.XmlDocument doc = new System.Xml.XmlDocument();

doc.XmlResolver = resolver;

doc.Load(<URL for the .axd file>);

xmlRss.Document = doc;

xmlRss.TransformSource = "rss.xsl";

2. We then started getting the error below:

Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request failed.

3. We checked the web.config and determined that the application was configured to run under HIGH trust.

4. We changed this setting to make the application run under FULL trust and everything worked fine thereafter.