SEO perspective BE - Post Title and Web Page Title

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
May 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Blog Engine make the post title your web page title as well.

Is there anyway we can customize post title and page title ?

May 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM

For Posts and pages use the slug.

http://www.diigo.com/item/image/17qct/i4ar

Check out this Post on:

How to Add a Custom Field to a Post in BlogEngine.Net

Java Blog

May 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Perhaps , You did not get my question.

I was asking about separate names for Post and Title Bar

May 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM
Edited May 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM

So you want  a seperate name for the Page Title of the post.

Currently I do not think that is possible with the current build of BlogEngine.

But, it could be done with custom code in the core.

Take alook at this:  http://www.byteblocks.com/post/2009/02/18/Blogengine-update-to-specify-sticky-post-titles.aspx

The above link is for BE 1.5 and needs updating but is that something you are looking for?

May 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM

It seems to me that if you need this for SEO, or, IOW using good keywords, you should carefully use the keywords in the postname to begin with. Eventually you could play around with the slug.

BL

May 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.Keyword in Slug and Keyword in Post name is good but Title (currently auto generated from PostTitle) should also have more flexibility  as there are times that we need to include more keywords within 64 characters , that google reads from title.
boudewijn wrote:

It seems to me that if you need this for SEO, or, IOW using good keywords, you should carefully use the keywords in the postname to begin with. Eventually you could play around with the slug.

BL

May 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Ben ! , rtur !

what do you think about this issue...?

May 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM
kbdavis07 the post suggests db changes..I don't want to break the existing BE codes coz i am unsure what will happen if in future i decide to upgrade the existing be version....That is one problem..
kbdavis07 wrote:

So you want  a seperate name for the Page Title of the post.

Currently I do not think that is possible with the current build of BlogEngine.

But, it could be done with custom code in the core.

Take alook at this:  http://www.byteblocks.com/post/2009/02/18/Blogengine-update-to-specify-sticky-post-titles.aspx

The above link is for BE 1.5 and needs updating but is that something you are looking for?

May 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Edited May 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Changes for what you are wanting will have to modified the Core of BE.

XML and Database changes will be needed to be made.

There can be work arounds but that would be more work than whats needed and add additional code thats not needed.

I added it to my To-Do-List :

http://blogengine07.codeplex.com/workitem/6

If you or anyone else have anything else to add to it please do.

Once its done and submitted to BE and if it gets approved

then It will be included in the future releases of BE so updating will not be an issue

I don't want to break the existing BE codes coz i am unsure what will happen if in future i decide to upgrade the existing be version....That is one problem..

If PageLinkMenu gets approved for the main release it won't be an issue it will be built in BE.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM

"If PageLinkMenu gets approved for the main release it won't be an issue it will be built in BE."

Is there any news on this?

It's been a while I have been here. Just took on a new job and concentrated on that first.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

In current state of BE, you will have to modify the core to accomplish what you are looking for. I recognized this shortcoming of BE very early on. Thats why I added additional title field in core in my custom version. As kbdavis suggested, get the custom changes from my blog and then add it to your version. I have more customizations than you may need.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM
boudewijn wrote:

"If PageLinkMenu gets approved for the main release it won't be an issue it will be built in BE."

Is there any news on this?

It's been a while I have been here. Just took on a new job and concentrated on that first.

I put a hold on updating PageLinkMenu  till  the release of the stable verson of BE 2.5.  Since there are major changes in the code

going to wait it out then do the changes all at once.  For instead doing changes only having to redo them for 2.5.

Also I have been very busy with little time to do it :)

Also need help with the database scripts to beable to put in a pull request.

I put PageLinkMenu as a side project here:

http://blogengine07.codeplex.com/

If anybody would like to help please make a request to join and I will add you as a developer.

Also if you have any requests for it please request it here:

http://blogengine07.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Brian Davis

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM
kbdavis07 wrote:

"Also need help with the database scripts to be able to put in a pull request."

Could you tell a bit more about this? I have been working with databases for more than 20 years so maybe I can throw in my knowledge on this.

Tempting as it may be to use 2.5 immediately I will wait for you to finish the pageLinkMenu. I cannot imagine doing without it anymore.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Just need the scripts to add the fields that are needed in the database tables.

This to get it to pass to be included in future BE releases once the pull request is approved.

Like this:

The scripts that are in the Setup folder

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[be_Pages]
 ADD
 [MetaTitle] [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL DEFAULT (N'')
GO
 UPDATE [be_Pages]	SET [MetaTitle] = [Title]
GO
ALTER TABLE [dbo].[be_Posts]
 ADD
 [MetaTitle] [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL DEFAULT (N'')
GO
 UPDATE [be_Posts]	SET [MetaTitle] = [Title]
GO

But, for the time being I will update BE 2.5 for PageLinkMenu with XML support only for now.

Will let you know when its ready.

Should be around July 9 or sooner hopefully :)

I need it too for my site going to upgrade it too :)
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM

tx for a quick reply, I will patiently wait for your message.

Take care

BL

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:27 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Check out this Post on:

How to Add a Custom Field to a Post in BlogEngine.Net