multiple blog support

May 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Can you give me an ETA on multiple blog support?, 

Also can you let me know if it better to wait until this update before starting with BE or will the upgrade be eventless?

May 10, 2011 at 2:26 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Keep a watch on the Source Code:

Looks like multiple support might be available.  I have not tested the latest version yet but looks like its there.

by rtur
May 1 at
5:48 AM
15 - Extensions for sub-blogs only support enable/disable functionality
- Html encoding for query string and comment content
by Ben Amada
Apr 24 at
7:36 AM
43 - Skipping validation on Blog StorageContainerName for primary blog which was a readonly field so primary blog changes can be made.
- Updated/improved rules on blog CurrentInstance matching by updating order of blogs checked to take hostname into account.
- Ensuring two blog instances do not have the same combination of hostname & virtual path.
- Removing CompressionModule filter from Response.Filter if an unhandled exception occurs to prevent garbage characters and so a yellow screen of death appears.
- Switched code in various places from using HttpRuntime.Cache to Blog.CurrentInstance.Cache.
- Updated SQL Server 'new' script with indexes and FKs.

Java Blog

May 10, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Yes, the next official release will be in June (next month) and will definitely have multiple blog support.

May 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Thank you,  this is great news, I have another question.  I have not yet installed BE because I was waiting for this feature.,  now that I know its just around the corner I would like to get started with my main blog and then fill in the other ones after the new release.  The setup that I would like is this: - main blog which I would like to start now using your existing BE 

Then after the next release I would like to add in the other ones which would be represented as follows

Will this work?

May 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Yes, that will work.  Ideally, you would create a single folder named "blog" and make that an application in IIS.  This "blog" folder would be where you install BE (just a single installation).  When creating new blogs, there's a "Hostname" option for each blog where you would assign "" to the Seattle blog, "" to the Miami blog, etc.  Because BE is installed in the "blog" folder, the URL for the "" blog would automatically become

May 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM

very kool, thank you..

if you need a alpha/beta/rc tester please let me know..

May 11, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Your welcome to give it a try.  It can be downloaded on the Source Code tab above.  Compiling the BE core is necessary.  It also requires .NET 4.0.

Basically everything is working.  We'll be doing some extra work on Extensions.  The whole thing requires more testing, but as I casually go thru it, it's working as it should.  Definitely the majority of it is done.

May 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

hi, BenAmada, is this a bug? In non-primary blogs, pages setted as default page were  not redirected correctly! 

May 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM

dragon:  Hi & thanks for testing.  I just checked in which fixes this.

May 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Hi,  Does this development version work with an sql database?  I think I found a bug with Add Page  -new page appears in Page List, but not on menu bar!

May 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Yes, the latest version does work with SQL.  The web.config file for SQL hasn't been changed yet, but you can use the XML web.config in the root folder, and change the default blog provider from XmlBlogProvider to DbBlogProvider.  You'll need to use the DB script for BE 2.5 in the setup folder to setup the DB.

Normally pages do not appear in the top navigation bar.  I suppose a theme might include pages in the navigation bar, but the Standard theme for example has a fixed list of items in the menu bar (Home, Archive, Contact).

Or do you mean a different place that you are expecting the new Page to appear in?  I'm not sure what "menu bar" refers to.  Any clarification is appreciated.

May 25, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I'm using StandardPro theme and pages are displayed in the menu bar after Home.   I thought the standard theme was similar?   I've installed multi-blog on sql server and I noticed that the Page List is same in each blog, which is strange because the table clearly identifies which blog the page is associated with.  Any thoughts why?

May 25, 2011 at 11:39 PM

When you create a new blog instance, the bottom dropdown lists asks "Existing Blog to Create New Blog from".  This dropdown field is required.  When you select the existing blog from there, and click the Save button to create the new blog instance, the existing blog's data is copied to the new blog.  After that, if you create a new Page, Post, etc., that new item will only show up for that particular blog instance.

The idea behind this is that you can create a "template" blog instance that is setup the way you want new blog instances to look like.  Then when you create new blog instances, you could select that template blog, and that's how the new blog will get setup.

May 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The theory sounds good but, unless I've missed something in practice what happens is that the last page added is displayed in all blogs!  However, I'll create another site to confirm.

May 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Please can you incorporate Dave Burke’s Method to support multiple master pages for multiple-blog or something similar /better?

Apply the AlterantiveMasterBlogPage master file property placed in the BlogBasePage.cs OnPreInit() method:

this.MasterPageFile = string.Format("{0}themes/{1}/{2}", Utils.RelativeWebRoot, this.theme, this.AlternativeMasterBlogPage);

ASPX Page.cs

Protected Overrides Sub OnPreInit(ByVal e As EventArgs)

Me.AlternativeMasterBlogPage = "alternative.master"

End Sub

May 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

We could add something to support multiple master pages, but that is not related to this new multiple blog functionality.

Back to the Pages, yes, please test again.  When you save a Page, I'm very sure that it's not going to be saved to the be_Pages table once for each blog instance.  The code is just not setup to do this (which is desired of course).

The two reasons I can think of that you see the same Pages in multiple blog instances is (a) when the blog data is copied when setting up a new blog instance (what I described before), or (b) when you are viewing the other blog instance (the instance you did not create the Page in), BE thinks you are viewing the 1st blog instance (the instance that you created the Page in).  In this latter case, it would not be just Pages, but everything else would be the same between the 2 blog instances, if BE was thinking the 2nd instance was the 1st instance (same posts, pages, same settings, same theme, etc).  In this case, I would verify that the URL you are at is the correct URL setup for the blog instance.  In the Blogs management page where you create the blog instances, you can click on the Blog name (it is hyperlinked), and it'll take you to the homepage of that blog instance.  Also make sure the blog instance is "Active".

May 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It would be good if each blog can have its own master page(s).  I have tried it again using both xml and sql server and I get the same issue and the latest version from 28th May is the same.  New posts appear as they should in each blog but, the latest added page and the pages in that blog appear in all blogs!   Hopefully you can fix this.

May 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Each blog can have its own master page / theme.  All of the settings, which includes the theme, are separate for each blog.  So this is already there.

I found the problem with the duplicate Pages you are seeing.  It's not a problem with BE, but with the StandardPro theme.  In short, that theme needs adjustments to work with the new multiple blog features in BE.  Specifically, it caches various pieces of data including the Page list you see in the top navigation menu bar.  It's using static fields for this.  The theme can still use caching like this, but it needs to be modified to cache the data "per blog instance".  Right now, it's caching the data "application wide".  So it's using the same cache for all blog instances, when it shouldn't be.

We had the same type of issues for some of the widgets that are included with BE where we needed to change the caching so it would be per blog instance.  In fact, there's actually a new CacheProvider that was added to the "Blog" class that helps with this ... by caching data separately for each blog instance.  The StandardPro theme doesn't have to use the CacheProvider, but does need to at least store the static data per blog instance.

May 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Edited May 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I think I see my problem now!  I created a page and added links to the new blogs.  When I click the link the blog opens with the correct page list.  However, when I click the second link the blog has the same page list as the first, but if I stop the development server first and click the second link it opens with the correct page list.  So it is working as you say.  I will try it on my remote server when reinvent technologies resolves an issue with my new site, could the same thing happen if a user moves between blogs on the internet?   Why is this an issue locally when all the other attributes for each blog are displayed properly except the page list?

May 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Edited May 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM

See upate above.

May 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM

The StandardPro theme is trying to make some of the navigation area display as fast as possible by caching the data up there.  The only (or main) piece of information in the header area that is dynamic and is based on the blog data is the list of Pages.  The first time the theme renders, it gets the list of Pages and caches the list.  Whichever blog instance gets viewed first, the pages for that blog instance are what is getting cached application wide.  The posts and other data is not being displayed or cached by the theme.

I'm sure there will be some other existing themes, widgets and extensions that will have problems similar to the StandardPro theme.  Even widgets/extensions that are included in BE needed to be adjusted for the multiple blog concept.  The changes needed for the StandardPro theme are not that many, and/or the theme could be changed to not cache data such as the list of Pages.

May 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Hi Ben,

Yes "StandardPro" theme is not updated as per the new changes. I wanted to updated it as per the new changes but waiting for the final version of multiple blog (next release of it).

Please let us know when we will get the final version of it ?

May 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Hi all,

I'm using this version with multiple blog support (amazing!), and I would suggest if it's possible to make a widget that display a list of all the "sub-blogs" created with this new relase of BE?

Best wishes,

May 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hi jitendraapi.  The final version of BE 2.5 will be in the 2nd half of June (next month).  We'll probably have a release candidate about mid-June.  Thanks!

May 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Hi ildrago.  The data on the blogs is available thru Blog.Blogs.  So someone can pretty easily create a widget that goes thru that list of Blogs, and outputs them into a list, etc.

We might expose some other data so the primary blog could have access to data in other blog instances, such as the recent posts in each of the blog instances.

For just listing the blogs though, that can be done now via Blog.Blogs, as noted above.

May 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Please can you help with remote server setup.  I have created 2 subdomains e.g. sub1, sub2 and set up multi blog using hostname and  I have multi BE installed in the root directory not a blog folder, hope that's okay?  What do I need to enter under virtual directory ~/sub1 ?  Can I create a folder called Sub1 and point to it?

May 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM

In that case when using subdomains, virtual directory for all blogs would be just ~/

In all cases, you don't need to physically create a new folder.  If you were not using subdomains as an example, and were using virtual folders, then it would be ~/blog1, ~/blog2 etc.  Even in this case, you would not physically create new folders.  They would be virtual folders that BE would detect and treat as real folders.

Again, in your case with subdomains, virtual path should be just ~/

May 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Thanks Ben :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for help.  I'm almost there!   I have created 2 subdomains via my hosts control panel, but  they both go to  How do I configure these subdomains to point to their respective blogs.  Am I missing something in web.config file?

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The new subdomains go to ... you mean this website?

The part that is necessary is for those subdomains to resolve (point to) the same application/website that your main domain name is running under.  In IIS, this is typically done with host headers.  So you would have a website in IIS, with probably 3 host headers:,,  Regardless of which of those hostnames you enter into the browser, they should all pull up the same website.  So regardless of which of those URLs you go to in your browser, you should get the BE homepage.  If you get to that point, that means BE is receiving requests for the subdomains.  BE is then able to see those requests and for the subdomains, it can treat these as requests for blog instances you have created.

Getting the host headers and IIS setup is something that is done in IIS (and possibly DNS changes).  No changes to the web.config file should be necessary.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Not done this before!  Do I use IIS Manager on my local machine, or via the website, or hosts control panel?

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

If the site is hosted somewhere (e.g. shared hosting), you probably cannot use IIS directly.  The only thing you could use is the hosts control panel, and/or ask their support people to help set it up.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Got it to work by creating a domain alias pointing to main site.  I must say it looks great and lots of new features.  I realy like the TitaniumX theme on Windows 7.  Just one final issue for me!  I want to add links to aspx pages from the top Nav bar after Contact, Achive etc.    I updated the Site.Master in the theme, but the links don't work from a subdomain.  How do I navigate to folders in the root directory while inside a subdomain, like the way contact and archive work? 

I found a minor problem with the latest version -the ASP.NET_4.0_Web.Config needs updating to support html namespace.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM

The navigation issue was due to an error on the master page!  On my local host the TitaniumX theme has rounded corners and a bluish appearance, however, on the remote server the boxes are square and silver viewed on the same laptop.  Any idea why?  Also found a problem when trying to delete a user.