Your vote. Best way to deploy new themes, controls, etc

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
May 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hi,

i'm currently creating a new theme. There are some new controls and widgets that come with this theme. Additionally there are some helper classes / extensions that are used by the theme or the controls. This classes are placed inside the app_code folder.

But the question is how should i deploy this to the community.

1. All together in one package, including the app_code

The drawback here is that if you jast want control x you have to download it all.

2. Theme, controls, and code seperatly

Here you download for example just the theme and the code package, or just the control and the code packe. Or only the code package for use the helpers in your own themes. Each would be a seperate download.

3. Everything completely stand alone

I remove the code from app_code and duplicate it everywhere it is needed. But if i have a fix or improvement to the code i'll have to redeploy everything.

So, what do you think?

Cheers,

René

May 18, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Edited May 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Hi René,

I have seen your work and tried it as well, it looks superb; So first thanks for the wonderful theme.

Now question is that how tightly coupled the controls and extensions are with the theme ?

What I would prefer is to have separate Theme, controls and extensions. So one can download what is required for them. But also you can give a combined set to the community so that they can use all of the together.

I am saying this because while using your code i would like to have options to update my blog with new future releases of the BE so you need to keep this thing in mind.

I know there may be better ways to do so and most experienced BE developer can give more suggestions.

Regards,

Jitendra

http://www.blogEngineWall.com

May 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Edited May 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Hi,

I suppose I'm just reiterating what J said, but it's possible I'm missing the point, would it not be best to keep anything that's used as part of the theme with the theme, it's not an unreasonable size to be downloading at around 125KB zipped (option 1).

Anything that can stand alone and useful in its own right, also available separately (option 2). Updates on an item by item basis and a theme update if the change to an individual item (or sum of changes) will markedly improve the theme.

I had a look at the latest preview and there's some good stuff in there that would be useful separately.

Option 3 contains the word duplicate, I stopped reading at that point.

Keep up the good work.

May 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for giving me world shortest smart short name "J" :)

My thumbs up for your points.

Regards,

J :)

May 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Edited May 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for your replies :)

I think i'll seperate the themes, the controls and the widgets. So that anybody can download what they need. I remove everthing from the controls that relies on the classes in the app_code folder. Just the theme needs it, so i'll ship it with the theme.