BlogEngine.NET Copyright & themes

Topics: Themes
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a questions concerning the copyrights on the website. Is it allowed to move all copyrights to one disclaimer?
With copyrights I mean the "Powered by BlogEngine.NET 1.3.0.3" (or other version) and the copyrights of the different themes.
The sourcecode of the original BlogEngine has been changed enormously, if that is relevant information.
Is the above mentioned allowed, I'm sure you know what I should do?

Greetings Solvax
Apr 15, 2008 at 12:29 AM
I think the disclaimers and other various copy rights that are on your website (facing the customer so to speak) are just for your site content (images, text, songs, etc.) It is a statement that your posts and other various content are your own works and that your employer are not responsible for the items that are posted on the page.

Themes are source code, therefor the copyright should be placed inside the code for the theme (if the author so chooses). It is also not "allowed" by law to change the original copyright of an item for redistribution without consent from the author of that item (for intellectual property purposes).

Even if you did a total re-write of BlogEngine, it was an original idea that sparked your source code. Which means that by curtosy and other things you should consider keeping the "powered by" on the page. Also look up the MS-RL which anything on codeplex is protected by ( http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/licensingbasics/reciprocallicense.mspx ).

3. Conditions and Limitations
(A) Reciprocal Grants- For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file. You may license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose.

(E) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code form, you may do so only under this license by including a complete copy of this license with your distribution. If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

etc.

Just some food for thought. You never really 'have' to obey the license, but it's the same punishment for breaking it as stealing from a store.

Oh so to answer your question, no it is not because BlogEngine did not really design the theme so the theme owner owns that right and BlogEngine owns the right of it's source code hosted on CodePlex.
Apr 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2008 at 1:58 PM
thank you jwendl for your reply!

1) The themes are property of the original designers, so I contacted these people and asked for their authorisation. If they allow me to move
their copyrights to the disclaimer, then there is no problem I guess what concerns the themes?

2) What concerns the "powered by BlogEngine.NET" link, is there no way we are able to remove this link in a LEGAL way?
Is it possible to buy a license which makes me able to remove the "powered by ... " link?
We changed the source code considerably, but we DO keep the copyright in the source code.

3) Is publishing a blog built with our new source code considered as distribution of this source code?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the questions.
I ask these questions because we want to host our site in a legal way.

Thanks in advance.
Apr 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM
1) If they allow it, then yes you can.

2) That is up to the developers of BlogEngine, as of right now there is not a way to do this.

3) Yes releasing your source code + the code on codeplex is considered distribution of the original source code. If you release just your changes, then that is fine no need for the powered by etc.