Blog without log in option for adding new post?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
May 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Hi People,

I need to set a blog for a organization where the login procedure for adding new post is not necessary. People simply want to  be able to add a new post without the login obligation.

So I would appriciate to be guided in the way how to remake the blogengine (source code) version in order to do so.

Regards

Muris

May 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM

With minor modification you probably could do it.  But before you go down this path, there are few questions that you may want to think about:

1. How to distinguish who posted the post? What author name to use?

2. If somebody needs to edit the post later on, how are you going to establish ownership? If anybody could modify anybody's content then it could be an issue.

May 31, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Hi!

The blog will be used by a small organisation where people believe to each other with the high level of integrity. It means that no authetication is needed in order to put a post in the blog, but a name of the author is prefered to put separately as the post is published.

As the post is published no editing procedure is needed actually. An one, bad. solution, might be to publish a new post each time you actually need to edit an existing post.

What we finally want to do is to promote a spontaeous publishing of posts by avoiding to force authors to log in each time a new post is to be published.

I hope You got my point now!

You may answer more extensively than I ask you for.

May 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Instead of making changes to core or altering behavior of BE security, here is one approach that can be worth exploring.

1.Create account of everybody in your organization in BE database. You canjust assign some random password. Assign each account role of contributor.

2.Whensomebody comes to blog, present them dropdown list with all accounts in organization and let them pick their name/account. When selection is made, programtically log them into blog. They do not need to provide password. Only pick they have is their name.

This can be done with very minimal effort.

May 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

A briliant idea!

I will try it!

Thanks,

Muris

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM
bitnbytes wrote:

Instead of making changes to core or altering behavior of BE security, here is one approach that can be worth exploring.

1.Create account of everybody in your organization in BE database. You canjust assign some random password. Assign each account role of contributor.

Hi Bitnbytes,

I just wonder where to add the new account for everybody when working with sourcecode version. I guess I need to edit ~/AppData/Users.xml  in order to manually add the new user?

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Instead of modifying Users.xml file directly, I would recommend using Membership.Provider interface to call CreateUser method. Since passwords are encrypted, you are going to have hard time with direct manipulation of XML file.