Reset Password

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I forgot my admin password and the forget password feature isn't working (I guess I need to configure smtp deatils somewhere?) so I tried to reset by uploading roles.xml and users.xml to app_data folder.

I did this and tried to login with admin/admin but its not working.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

You got to restart the app_Pool

Re upload a .dll file    I use the blogenginecore.dll   files seems to work the best for some reason.

Also you can turn off one of the extensions which will cause it to restart too.

Java Blog

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM

As Brian said kill worker process it will resolve your problem. But after that if still you are not able to login then do one thing in users.xml file update password with this string - "jGl25bVBBBW96Qi9Te4V37Fnqchz/Eu4qB9vKrRIqRg=" 

Take complete string inside the double quote. And try to login with password as "admin";

Let me know if problem still persist.

Regards,

http://www.blogenginewall.com

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I have the same problem and i tried the above and it didn't work.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM

It looks like it did work but for some reason there were two users called admin in the roles.xml under the Administrator role. I remove one of them and it seems to work now.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, this thread helped me out but it funny that jGl25bVBBBW96Qi9Te4V37Fnqchz/Eu4qB9vKrRIqRg= is encription for admin. Can I set this up so admin is the password, no encription?

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM

If you are using SQL then running

UPDATE be_Users SET Password = '' WHERE UserName = 'admin'
will set the password back to admin.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

PLEASE HELP ME!!!  WILL PAY $70 IN EXCHANGE FOR GETTING MY BLOG BACK ONLINE AND RESETTING THE PASSWORD

I experienced the same problem described by users in this thread as well as in this other one.  With all due respect, it only made matters worse.  As where previously I was unable to login, now when I try to load the blog I receive the following message:

Server Error in '/blog' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

So now I can't even access the blog, the content is no longer live and I still cannot login.  I am willing to pay someone $70 via PayPal in exchange for fixing this error and resetting my blog admin name and password.  Please contact me at 504-554-0242 or eganmedical@gmail.com if interested in helping resolve this problem.

BTW, the blog address is http://blog.pamelaegan.com

Also, I did not change or forget the password like the others who experienced this problem.  The blogengine software apparently decided on its own that it no longer wanted to accept the login credentials I have been using for the past several months.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM

How do I reset lost admin password?

If you are using default XML provider:

1. Get to your website (usually by FTP to your web server).
2. Open /app_data/users.xml in the text editor, for example notepad.
3. Remove password from your admin account, meaning:

change from:
<UserName>Admin</UserName>
<Password>long-encrypted-key-here</Password>

to:
<Password></Password>

4. Restart web site, easiest way is to open web.config and add a space to the comment and save it. Comments are:
<!-- anywhere between tags like these -->

Now you should be able to log in as admin/admin.

If you don't have Admin account in the users.xml file, add new user tag like so:

<User>
     <Password></Password>
     <Email>post@example.com</Email>
     <LastLoginTime>2007-12-05 20:46:40</LastLoginTime>
</User>

Once logged in as admin, you can delete and create again any user account from admin panel.

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Thank you for your help!  However, I still have a few points in need of clarification.

Does it matter which comment?  None of the ones in my web.config have the exclamation point and the dashes inside of them.  Should I add another?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I copied and pasted your comment tag into the web.config file and deleted the words "anywhere between tags like these" from it.  The site still won't load.  Any suggestions?

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Now I'm getting a different error message than before?

Will anyone please fix this?  How much do you need to make it worth your while?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM

You should have some. Here is example from standard web.config with comments. Any green text here is a comment, you can add new but should be careful to put it between tags, otherwise you'll break XML formatting and site will crash. Changing green text, like adding or removing a letter, will restart your site.

<appSettings>
    <add key="BlogEngine.FileExtension" value=".aspx"/>
    <!-- You can e.g. use "~/blog/" if BlogEngine.NET is not located in the root of the application -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.VirtualPath" value="~/"/>
    <!-- The regex used to identify mobile devices so a different theme can be shown -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.MobileDevices" value="(iemobile|iphone|ipod|android|nokia|sonyericsson|blackberry|samsung|sec\-|windows ce|motorola|mot\-|up.b|midp\-)"/>
    <!-- The name of the role with administrator permissions -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.AdminRole" value="Administrators"/>
    <!-- The name of the role for anonymous(non-authenticated) users. -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.AnonymousRole" value="Anonymous"/>
    <!-- The name of the role for Editors -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.EditorsRole" value="Editors"/>
    <!--This value is to provide an alternative location for storing data.-->
    <add key="StorageLocation" value="~/App_Data/"/>
    <!--This value is the folder name under the StorageLocation that data for blog instances will be stored in.-->
    <add key="BlogInstancesFolderName" value="blogs"/>
    <!--A comma separated list of script names to hard minify. It's case-sensitive. -->
    <add key="BlogEngine.HardMinify" value="blog.js,widget.js,WebResource.axd"/>
  </appSettings>

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Or just send me your FTP user/password and I'll check this out. Click my user ID to contact over Codeplex.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Many thanks!  I sent it on over.  I cannot thank you enough for helping me.  Please let me know what I need to do in order to make it up to you.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Rtur, I cannot thank you enough.  If I cannot pay you for your time and your assistance, I will instead make a donation to Blogengine, or to the open source or charitable cause of your choice.  You don't even understand how stressful this whole experience has been for me.  I will sleep tonight --- thanks in no small part to you.  I owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude, and cannot thank you enough  :-) !