BE 2.5 in a sub-folder

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hi all

I am testing BE 2.5 RC and would like to provide some thoughts around my user experience. I am trying to integrate BE 2.5 with an existing website. I want to put it in a sub-folder of the website called "/blogs". I unzipped the files and tried to run "/blogs/default.aspx"/. I get the following error.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error: 

Line 7:  	</configSections>
Line 8:  	<BlogEngine>
Line 9:  		<blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 10: 			<providers>
Line 11: 				<add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Source File: C:\Users\Richard\Documents\My Web Sites\NewGunk\NewGunk\slogs\web.config    Line: 

Would this kind of installation be considered "normal"? If so, what might we do to make it an easier install for people, or has someone gone through that already and I am missing it?

Thanks

Richard

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Hi all

My next step is to convert the folder to an application. I am running IIS 7 on Windows 7 for this test (I am testing on my local machine). Here is the next error I see.

<fieldset>

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

</fieldset>
<fieldset><legend>Detailed Error Information</legend>
Module IIS Web Core
Notification BeginRequest
Handler Not yet determined
Error Code 0x80070032
Config Error The configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration
</fieldset>

Hmmmm. What do I do now?

Thanks

Richard

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Hi Richard,

I am doing the same thing. Installing BE 2.5 into a sub folder of an MVC 3 website.

I also came accross that error, and for me, I had to make sure that the BE 2.5 application had to be running in a asp.net 4 application pool. I have mine set up to an integrated one.

Hope that helps, if not I can see what other steps I took that could be of use.

Walter

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Okay, I have the same problem but different.  I'm using Visual Web Developer Express 2012  MVC4 and I'm attempting to put the blog engine into an existing project by placing it in a subdirectory within my app.  It's not clear how to use the advise above with 2012 express as it's not clear which web server this is running under.  The crappy mangement tools included with express make it near impossible to manage my IIS installation. 

So two questions:  How do I know which IIS version I'm running and 2) how do I manage the application pool.

Thanks.

- Ron