New Blog Engine as a service coming

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:11 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Launching blog Engine as a service here in the next few days.

Features being used.

1. BlogEngine v2.5, made it all possible
  2. Auto Blog creation via extension tools
  3. Increased security policies
  4. Extensionless URLs
  5. Full dashboard (minus some simple items such as Email servers)
  6. 50 themes, tested to work on BE 2.5
  7. Out of the box extensions & widgets
  8. No maintenance , maintenance taken care of by the hosting company for backup and restoration

If you need a blog and wish to use blogengine, or just want to play with some of the features read about it at

BlogEngine team, our greatest thanks, and if you would like to see the source code updates to allow for some of the features above just send me an email or contact me via the above link.

Thanks alot!

ps. Just waiting for the hosting company to setup the domain and servers, so hopefully any day.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM

This is pretty cool.  What did you need to do beyond what comes baked into BE?

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Well there has been quite alot of work that went into their URL Rewriting, because I am using BE 2.5 i can take advantage of one instance with many sub-instances. However i wanted to reverse the virtual path so instead of i reversed it to as virtual paths. This may sound simple but I tell you took alot of work to locate and update everyplace in the source code.

Now auto blog creation was a little difficult as I need to remove the API's that are in the system that could have security breaches. So the blog creation is my own brew with uses the back of BE and a bunch of new extension methods written in to create the blogs automatically. Additionally I had to write a new front end that does the user registration, creates a blog, create the users and roles, sets all the settings to custom settings this was alot of work to get correct.

The dashboard was pretty easy but still took some time, I had to remove some fields based on blog role (ie Primary or not) but maintained the integrity of the ajax js scripts.

Alot of work now is addding settings and features such as. Blog Logo's, Twitter & Facebook oAuth helpers, working with the theme's to remove generic items and replace them with user bound settings.

What I would like to do next is create a Theme builder which would allow people to select colors, fonts, background, heights\widths etc like

Alot to do but alot has been done!

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM
Edited Jul 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I have put up a beta start on this Blog Engine as a service.

You can create a blog from which will setup your new BlogEngine 2.5 blog. This will create your own custom subdomain. Note in these instances you cannot create additional blogs as its a shared service.

A demo can be seem at

Currently all one instance but I am looking at using alphabetical based instances I just have to get around the lack of Web farm ability in BlogEngine.

Also stop by and have a look at the social networking tab added. And a few new features in the Add Post page.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Awesome job! Kicked on twitter, too :) I saw you mentioned about plans to build a theme template, accidentally we also have similar plans. Basically, we want to build web service that have number of predefined layouts that people can choose from. Then they can upload images, pick from number of color themes and widget styles, edit CSS and javascript etc. When done, either hit "download theme as zip package" or "save to online gallery", later will push package to so anybody can install it from control panel. If you really going for something like it, we probably should coordinate our efforts. You can reach me by codeplex email if/when you get to that point.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Thanks rtur,

It been fun to try and put together, however there still is alot of work to do, I think i have the basics in place now just sorting out more technical issues.

Now just have to get people using it.

FYI, so you guys know. BE can be run in a cloud enviroment just fine, however I am having alot of issues setting up a web farm. Mostly due to non UNC paths for file storage. I am trying to write a module that overrides the virtual path utility. This is not live yet as the server this is running on has more than enough power for the next few months until it gains some traction.

Basically I have been looking is adding a setting in the web.config for UNC paths and then modifying the HostingEnviroment calls to a FarmHostingEnviroment that functions very similar to the HostingEnviroment except you can define UNC paths, and utilities for routing saved data to the correct hosted web server.

This is not my main target of work but just have been playing with it on my local system. Now that being said I have made alot of changes to the core system functionality my main piece of work is backing up and trying to make the changes configurable so we may be able to include them in your next release. These are things such as

1. Social networking support
  2. Blogs as subdomains instead of virtual directories. The functionality is basically the same just makes for nicer urls
  3. Additional security to disable some key parts such as
    1. email managemet (only need one server)
    2. you need to remove the password being displayed in the email password box (simply do a string!null & compare) 
    3. removing advanced settings
    4. remove some of the basic settings
    5. additional security rules around extensions as its VERY easy to get around with the current front end
  4. Another major issue i had was with the BlogSettings singleton. Basically the app i have been developing manages blogs wether you are in that blog or outside of it when you call blogsettings.GetSettings() and try to save I have been running into the settings being over writen from the primary blog. (Took me an age to figure this out) So i have had to modify 'how' the class worked and had to create a method that saves to an unattached (inactive blog)
  5. Added an API that simple forces a "Sort Blogs" command as if blogs are created outside of the blogengine context (ie another site) the blogs are not being updated in the BlogEngine application
  6. And about a million rewrite changes :)

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:27 AM

nvanhaaster -- it's a cool project you are working on.

A couple of times you mentioned "blogs as subdomains".  I'm not sure if this is the same, but multiple blog support in BE 2.5 includes subdomain support via "Host Name", without using virtual paths.  For example, you can enter "" as the "Host Name" and then leave Virtual Path set at ~/.   Then any requests for "" would be handled for that blog instance.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Yes, BE 2.5 already supports subDomain functionality as ben mentioned. What else you did ?

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM

nvanhaaster and rtur

Good plans for "theme template"  or auto Theme Creation

Can't wait for it to be done :)  Please let me know when its ready or when you need testers to try it out.

I think if we can use Jquery to sort the layout would be great like below:

Have it the user upload what ever they need then layout all out on the screen and then have them put it in the order they need them something like that.

Also the most important thing I think thats needs to be done is an editable css that can be saved and then view  or "Previewed" and changed again if needed.

Similar to Blogger.

Thanks all of you guys are doing a super job!!

Keep up the great work and if there any way I can help please let me know.

Brian Davis

Java Blog

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Whats the status on the theme builder?

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Hi, what happened to ?