Blog Post Links Not Working on Facebook

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 30, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me out with this weird problem I have run into. I am able to make posts on my blog at, but when I post a specific post, such as: and then try to post it on Facebook, I get a 'Page Not Found' error. Go ahead, give it a shot. Weird, right? If I take the permalink from the post: I am able to post on Facebook just fine, though I am missing the typical quick summary paragraph. Again, give it a shot, you'll see.

So, basically, my question is: Why is this happening? And how can I fix it? Sure, I found a workaround, but I should be able to post the direct link to my Facebook. Something isn't right here, and I have no clue what to do.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I'm guessing here, but it could be the length of the URL. Try a shorter one. Are you using any extensions to post that link on FB?

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

The length is fairly similar, so I have a hard time believing it could be that.

The blog has a Share on Facebook button, but that does not work either.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

It's something with that extension then because when I go to your blog's home page and click the FB button at the bottom of the post it works.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Hmm, that's weird. Which post were you clicking on? When I clicked on some posts, such as (Mother's Day Giveaway...) it worked just fine. But, when I clicked on 'Capturing a Photographic Moment...' I got this:
Jul 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

It happens on all posts. In fact, some posts' links when I click on them it just opens a new window to your blog. Why not just remove the link in your posts since you already have a working FB link at the bottom of the post?

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I took a look at your source HTML and see that it's a script that's supposed to open a new window. Check to see if you have the Syntax Highlighter extension enabled and if so disable it and then try it. I've experienced problems with that extension and a SlimBox script not getting along. Disabling the Syntax Highlighter extension fixed it for me.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I disabled the Syntax Highlighter, but that did not affect the post. I messed around with the post and shortened the slug. Lo and behold, the link now works just fine in Facebook. Meanwhile, older posts with longer slugs continue to work on Facebook. This makes no sense, but will have to do for now.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM

To be honest, you should be using permalinks for linking anyway, in case the title changes :p

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I've been having a headache with this one too. not even permalink works for me. am not sure if what I'm missing is the meta information when a specific blog is viewed but of course what If I want to have LIKE buttons on every blog posts listed on the main page .. ?

I still couldn't make this thing to work.. I always get this "page not found" title but the link is correct. When I used the permalink, it's even more worst

you guys can try my site and try playing with the urls in

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM

so when can BlogEngine.NET guys can fix this issue??

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM

If you about this widget, it is not really part of BlogEngine.NET. I'd have to look at it anyways because by accident I'm an author, but first need to make sure we talking about the same thing :)

May 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Edited May 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I'm suddenly having this same issue.. Has anyone ever found a solution?

In my case it seems to only be happening with more recent posts.. maybe since i changed hosting providers as one possible clue.

May 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

MY BlogEngine.NET is hosted in GoDaddy. Yours?

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM
I've been struggling with this as well - sometimes a link shared on Facebook works OK and sometimes it results in a 404 error. I found a bug in the BlogEngine.NET URL rewrite logic that will cause this sort of behavior depending on the query string. Any query string parameter that includes 'id=' will break BlogEngine.NET rewriting. The bug is here: I don't see a way to work around it without patching the core BlogEngine.NET code (so go vote for the bug fix it you also have this problem).