Blog Engine 2.5 - HOW TO THEME

Topics: Themes
Jul 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Ok so just jumping in w/out much knowledge of Razor. I made the typical copy of the Standard Theme in the "themes" folder and renamed it to my theme name. I hoped it would auto pop in the new Themes tab in the admin panel but no luck. Anyone have a good step by step on how to create a new theme in the AWESOME but confusing new BE 2.5?

Much help appreciated,

Jonny

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM

If all you did was copy the Standard theme folder and renamed it, then it won't show in the Themes tab because you need to edit the theme.xml file in that folder to what you are going to name it. You can also add the description in there.

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM

List of themes cached now, so you need to restart website for new theme folder to show up in the admin. Enable/disable any extension or add a space in web.config to reload application and clear cache if you don't have access to IIS. You don't have to do anything extra to theme itself, that theme.xml will be generated if not exists, any old theme should work fine as is.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Thanks rtur. It worked.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Would be nice to have a clear cache button available in the admin section. Especially helpful for developers.. I wrote my own method to silent rebuild the cache as needed but it would be a very handy utility.

Cheers