3 Questions about BlogEngine

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM
Hi BlogEngine Team,

I've got some questions here for you:
*Is there a way to get logs from Blogengine because my blog is on webhosting4life.com and I can't have access to the log files on the server? (I'd like to see net errors...)
*When I publish a post, it appears many time in the rss feed as you can see here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BenjaminGauthey and subscribe to your google reader.. Maybe it's because I make update on posts?
*I don't receive mails from my comments but it works from the contact page. Any ideas?

Thx for your help,

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM
May I have some help?
Apr 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Benjamin, there is no logging functionality in BE per se, if you getting runtime errors you can set custom errors to false in the web.config for them to show up, but it is probably not what you are looking for... May be we should think about adding logging to the BE, submit it for future enhancements and let see if community will vote for it.
Duplicates at RSS are really hard to fix because they are very inconsistent. Sometimes I got it myself, for no apparent reason. If you'll get any clues what causing them that would help. So far it looks like caching issue, but exact reason is not clear.
There is "send comment e-mail" check box under Settings/Email - take a look, may be you just forgot to select it.
Apr 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM
dubrow, I setup a system outside of BlogEngine to report the BlogEngine errors in an easy to read format. It is a third party application outside of BlogEngine that takes all asp.net exceptions (using your web.config to set it up) and stores it in SQL or XML. The project is here http://code.google.com/p/elmah/ . This is by no means a plug for the project, just the fact that it could be one way to work around seeing exceptions generated by BlogEngine.

You would want to set it up so the elmah.axd file (referenced in your web.config) points to somewhere inside ~/admin/ so only you could see it. Something like : http://<sitedomain>/admin/elmah.axd

Just an "outside of BlogEngine" method of storing your exceptions when you are on a shared hosting scenario.
Apr 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM
Chris/Dscoduc wrote about ELMAH a few days ago too.

Check out his blog posting for a bit more specifics (or at least get a chuckle from the photo with a funny Ikea billboard :-)

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM
Edited Apr 28, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Thanks for the referral Mike. I don't think the folks at BlogEngine should spend much time on this, as there are already better tools out there to provide this information. ELMAH has been exceptional for me and I would recommend that everyone configure this and use it. At the very least you can trouble shoot an error caused by a type or something you recently changed on your blog without having to reconfigure the RemoteOnly to Off...

As for jwendl's comment You would want to set it up so the elmah.axd file ... points to somewhere inside ~/admin/

The ELMAH documentation recommends you add a location reference in your web.config for security. So here is what I added to mine and it works great... Feel free to reuse if you are so inclined!

<!-- begin Elmah Section -->
<location path="elmah.axd">
<deny users="?"/>
<!-- end Elmah Section -->
Apr 28, 2008 at 12:00 PM
rtur: Fist of all thx for BE, I love it!! Concerning the RSS bug, it strange. When I post a new post my rss followers receive again the 2 old posts... I have no idea about. If you want me do add code to track go ahead :)
Concerning comment mails, I confirme that "send comment e-mail" is checked :(:( Is there a way to track the errors? thx :)

jwendl/MikevZ/dsdoduc: Thx for elmah that's just a very cool app!!!!! Reallly easy to configure.
Apr 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Concerning comment mails, I confirme that "send comment e-mail" is checked :(:( Is there a way to track the errors?

Try to change from Utils.SendMailMessageAsync(mail) to Utils.SendMailMessage(mail) in the SendCommentMail extension. Contact form uses the later method, if it works for you - may be async call causing an issues.
Apr 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM
@rtur: Thx for the tips but unfortunately it doesn't change anything :(
Concerning the RSS feed and old items that appears as new, all I can say from now is that every post appears two time in RSS readers. There is no constant :(
Apr 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM

About the "RSS-bug" in e.g. Google Reader, I get this very consistantly. The condition is this:

If I post an article and afterwords change some of the content (and then repost it), it shows up on Google Reader twice. If I alter the content again, it shows up again on Google Reader. I think it is because Google Reader compares the content of the RSS "body-tag" and checks for changes.
Apr 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM
To complete:
Even on other rss readers I've got the same thing :S and even If I don't change something in the content...
May 4, 2008 at 8:08 AM
I had the same problems with RSS. Please help, my readers are nervous!
May 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM
The problem is really random. this is no exact way to reproduce it.
Guys, do you news about this issue? Can we help by trying new released?

By the way, it's not only in google reader, but also in outlook rss reader....
Readers getting nervous about it :( and loosing them.... :(
May 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Any updates guys concerning our RSS issue?
May 29, 2008 at 3:57 PM
I've also seen duplicates in several feed readers. I had the problem in version 1.2 and yesterday upgraded to 1.3.1 and the issue persists. Would be nice to get this solved.