Error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:42 AM
Hi, I am trying to integrate BlogEngine into my site, but I can't even get it working...

I currently have a web site project with my main site and its own custom web.config file, so I took the folder containing the BlogEndine 1.3 files and put it into a subdirectory called "BlogEngine" in my existing website project. I then went into IIS 5.1, right-clicked on the "BlogEngine" subdirectory and clicked on "Create" to make it an application. When I try to compile and run my site I get the following error in the web.config file that comes with BlogEngine.

"It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

Thanks.
Apr 27, 2008 at 9:02 PM
You have to setup your web folder that you are putting BlogEngine into as a web application. Instead of just creating the folder underneath your root website, you need to go into the IIS manager and right click the web application you are trying to install it on and either select "New Website" or "New Virtual Directory".

It all depends on your setup on how to implement this, but you should be able to google for it and find out how to set it up as a virtual application rather than just a sub folder under your root website.