v loading slowly

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Edited Aug 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Still setting up a new Windows hosted site using GoDaddy, installed v 2.5 from the BE repository, then updated to v (again using a fresh download from the BE repository). I've noticed that if I hyperlink from my new index page to the blog's default.aspx, the first time it links, it takes about 10 seconds to load (FireFox 5). A little faster with IE 9 but still slow compared to other linked pages on the new site. After the slow loading, second and following attempts are faster, but I suspect this may be due to caching.

I've also had some difficulty with alternate themes like inove and blacknight (both emulating Wordpress-like themes). No difference loading; still slow, but logging of when these themes are installed and used, gets error messages.

At one point, the entire site could no longer be accessed, and GoDaddy support recycled the app pool in the IIS panel. This restored site access, but blog loading remains slow.

Here's the URL for the new site: http://therapisttoolbox.com/ (Use the "Blog" link. Direct link to the blog: http://therapisttoolbox.com/blog/default.aspx.)

AkismetFilter     1.0
BBCode     1.0    
CodeFormatterExtension     0.1
Logger     1.0    
MediaElementPlayer     1.5
ResolveLinks     1.5
SendCommentMail     1.3
SendPings     1.3
Smilies     1.3    
SyntaxHighlighter     2.5
SimpleCaptcha     1.0

My blog installation followed the installation instructions carefully. The site is running IIS 7 and ASP.net 4.0, PP data folder write enabled, virtual "blog" sub-directory set up. Works but should load faster.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM

On my end it seems to load fine.

But, For me GoDaddy is not worth dealing with. 

Check out this post:  http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/265393

I have a website using GoDaddy  http://www.blogengine07.info

With my experience with them for about a year you are in for a ride of trouble :)

Best thing to do is go with BloggersOnline  going to save  you alot of headaches in the future.

Just waiting for my domain expires with them in Nov and I will never use them again!!!

So I have my sites here:

http://www.kbdavis07.bloggersonline.com/      (Free Edition)

and here:

http://kbdavis07.info/    (Premium Edition)

Both are hosted on Bloggersonline.com

I have used both 1&1 Internet and GoDaddy.

Both are horrible hosting for BlogEngine.Net

So if you can get out of your service plan with GoDaddy I would before its too late :)

Have a Great day!!

Brian Davis

Java Blog

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for checking how the blog loads, plus your suggestions.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM

No problem at all.

If you need any help or anything at all just let me know.

You can contact me directly at  kbdavis07@yahoo.com

Have a great day or night :) !!

Brian Davis

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I'm still wondering why the initial connection to the blog takes so long? Could it have something to do with the browser/server having to "resolve" the address. My "blog" link uses default.aspx. Maybe I am doing something wrong in pointing to that file.

Since 2.5 is a new release, maybe there are some code issues yet to be fully resolved?

This slow loading occurs on FF 5, IE 9 (32 and 64 bit) on a Windows platform and Chrome on an Android platform. I wonder if there is anything I can do to "speed" up the initial connection to the blog?

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM

ASP.NET compiles the page on first request and caches it for 20 minutes by default. If it's not requested again in 20 minutes, it is discarded from the cache and must be recompiled the next time it is accessed.

If your web host is slow, perhaps it is overloaded. You have no choice but to look elsewhere if you want to speed up your Website.

As kbdavis07 said, BloggersOnline is very fast.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Also GoDaddy tends to recycle your app_pool alot causing the cache to go away sooner than what it should have done.

This again causing a delay.

Another thing you can try to do is Use

Its a 100% Free CDN (Content Delivery Network)

Easy to set up,  I am using it with both GoDaddy and BloggersOnline servers.

Just sign up, add your website, it then scans your DNS settings, then you just add the two Nameservers they give you in

your DNS settings you delete the current ones they will tell you in set up which ones to delete.

After you do that CloudFlare will serve your DNS and Website to your visitors. 

Even if your server goes down because it caches your entire website, keeping it up 24/7.

Also it acts as a Firewall against Spamers,Bandwidth wasters, and etc, this in addition saving bandwidth and at the same

time increasing your load time even more.

So if switching to an other server is not an option then give CloudFlare a try.

This will help eliminate the issues with GoDaddy :)

For me just enabling it increase my Google Page Speed 3 points.

Have a Great Day!!

Brian Davis

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Interestingly, I have a BE v 1.4.5 blog (set up but not used) on another GoDaddy Windows site, and that one connects instantly. They are on different GoDaddy servers because the new site has an SSL while the older one does not. So, different BE versions and different GoDaddy servers.

(I've also tried loading the new blog on an Android Chrome browser and this loads even slower.)

The other issue I'm having with the new BE is that if I change themes (inove, blacknight), when I try to log off, I get page not found error messages. This doesn't occur with the standard themes distributed in the 2.5 original download. But changing to a theme outside of the few "originals" has not worked. Installs OK, displays OK, but then log off error messages.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM

You need to add /Account/login.aspx to your link in site.master :)

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion: I tried this for the site.master for the inove theme, but I got an error message when I tested it.

<li <%=MenuClass("/Account/login.aspx")%>><a runat="server" id="aLogin" /></li>

Should I have also changed the other links in site.master?

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Regarding the speed, other people who have reported speed issues seem to be using GoDaddy.  One in particular is this one, where stevphie reports that GoDaddy's "4GH" hosting has been getting complaints about speed.

I notice on http://therapisttoolbox.com, the first time I pull it up, it is slow (maybe around 10 seconds), but then after that, I can click around a lot and all pages are fast.  Even if I don't click on anything for a couple of minutes, and then click on a page, it's fast.  This usually means that if the site has been inactive for some time, it "dies", and then when it gets hit again, it needs to start up.  Depending on how the web server is configured, the application might die after as little as 10 minutes or more typically 20 minutes of no activity.  This is how shared hosting sites like GoDaddy can offer very cheap prices ... because they put many sites on the servers, and a good percentage of the sites are not active, so they do not consume resources while they are in an inactive state.

The best solution for this (other than hosting somewhere else) is to have a process setup somewhere that pings your site every few minutes, and keeps it alive.  On one of my computers, for example, I have a Windows service setup that every 5 minutes, pings a few sites I maintain that are not active sites ... this keeps them alive.  Places that check your site uptime, like Site Uptime (among others) have paid plans where they can ping your site every 5 minutes to make sure it's "up".  If it's down, they email you.  When they ping your site, they are hitting your homepage, and that will keep your site alive.  It looks like their service is $5/month.  Their free plan is 30 and 60 minute check intervals, but that is probably not frequent enough.  There's probably other methods/options for keeping your site alive by having some process hit it.

I would guess that your other site at GoDaddy is either on a server that doesn't have its sites configured to die (or hibernate, etc) so quickly, or you might be getting more traffic or hits on that site that are keeping it alive so it doesn't die and doesn't need to be restarted.

Other people, like in this thread, have reported speed/performance issues where every page load is taking 15 seconds or so -- not just the first page.  In their case, it was the HTTP Compression module that needed to be turned off.  The HTTP Compression module fires for every page request, and if it's not working right in that environment, it will cause every page load to be slow.  Again, on your site, it's just the very first page load that is slow ... during that time, the site is restarting.  After that, the site is now running and works normally.  So the key again, is to keep the site alive so it doesn't die.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this helpful understanding of likely issues and possible solutions. I had come across the "http compression" discussion in searching for ways to fix this, tried un-checking.

As you point out, the issue is most likely site uptime.

Am trying uptimerobot (http://www.uptimerobot.com) which currently is free, 5 minute monitoring.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I was having this issue on GoDaddy 4GH.  I tried several different things, but the easiest for me was to go into the advanced settings and turn off the Http Compression that exists within the BlogEngine.net installation.  Not sure why but this seems to have significantly decreased loading time. 

I suspect that the increased load time is due to redundant compression.  BlogEngine.net compresses and the main website installation does it again.  Not sure, but it seems to have been resolved with a simple deselect of a check box.