Cannot Edit my Quotations

Topics: Controls
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I am using BlogEngine 2.5, and for some reason I cannot edit my quotations in my Quotations Widget:

If I click on the little pencil I get:

This webpage is not available

The webpage at http://www.nickhodges.com/admin/WidgetEditor.aspx?widget=Quotations&id=ec41d408-2ba3-4ac4-a5a3-fb5f8b8caa34&zone=be_WIDGET_ZONE might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.
in the little popup box.
However, that page is indeed present, as it shows up blank if "manually" navigate to:
http://www.nickhodges.com/admin/WidgetEditor.aspx
Any ideas?
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Are you able to edit other widgets, such as the TextBox widget, etc?

It might be that some error is occurring within the Quotations widget that is causing that message to come back.  What is you manually navigate to the URL you show in bold (the one with all the query string parameters at the end) .... do you get any error message in that case?

You could also turn on Error Logging under Settings -> Advanced Settings (if it's not already on).  Then click the Edit link on the Quotation widget to force the error, and then check to see if there is a logger.txt file in the App_Data folder.  It's possible (but not guaranteed) that an error gets logged into that file.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Ben ---

Thanks for responding.

Yes, the other widgets work just fine.

Pasting the entire URL into another browser window results in the exact same error.

Turning on logging and inducing the error made this entry:

Date: 8/11/2011 8:36:33 AMContents BelowUrl : http://www.nickhodges.com/admin/WidgetEditor.aspx?widget=Quotations&id=ec41d408-2ba3-4ac4-a5a3-fb5f8b8caa34&zone=be_WIDGET_ZONERaw Url : /admin/WidgetEditor.aspx?widget=Quotations&id=ec41d408-2ba3-4ac4-a5a3-fb5f8b8caa34&zone=be_WIDGET_ZONEMessage : e:\web\nickhodgesc\htdocs\widgets\Quotations\edit.ascx.cs(13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'WidgetEditBase' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)Source : System.WebStackTrace :    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath)   at Admin.WidgetEditor.InitEditor(String type, String id, String zone)   at Admin.WidgetEditor.OnInit(EventArgs e)   at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)   at ASP.admin_widgeteditor_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)TargetSite : System.Web.Compilation.BuildResult CompileWebFile(System.Web.VirtualPath)

Looks like something needs to reference the location of WidgetEditBase -- 

I'll poke around on that -- (I'm not a C# guy, but I can find my way around a C# ASP.NET project.....)

If you or anyone knows the remedy, I'd be very grateful.

Nick

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

And further perusal finds that the 

edit.ascx.cs 

file was, for some reason, missing the 

using App_Code.Controls;

clause.  Adding that fixed things up.

Thanks for pointing me to the logging -- that solved it.

Nick