Does BE provide these features?

Topics: Controls
Apr 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM
Does BE supports following features, if not how difficult it would be to incorporate them (I am assuming that BE is opensource):

- Can we add new attributes to the posts e.g. country, city, actual writer of the posted article etc.
- Users can filter on above attributes e.g. posts from specific countries or by specific writers
- User can save filters
- On future visits, user is displayed posts of a filter selected as default by the user
- Based on filters users can create custom feeds
May 2, 2008 at 4:54 AM
Filters, no. Custom Searches, you can do that. Out of the box there is the option to add comments to the search(which looks at posts and pages), but with a little work you can create an advanced search giving the user the ability to select exactly what part of the site are searched. You can add attributes to each post by adding tags. Then zip over to this post to see how to create a rss feed from a search:
http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=26687

then voila most of what you want is available. As for saving it not sure how modern asp methods do it but my trusty asp 1.0 skills say cookie it hope for the best.

Spence
May 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM
thanks Spence.

can i apply more than one tags at a time like i want to see posts from a particular country by a particular author on 3 different topics.

this is exactly how i want searching to be done.

can i something like this using plugins or do i have to update the core engine?
Jun 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM

haris66 wrote:
thanks Spence.

can i apply more than one tags at a time like i want to see posts from a particular country by a particular author on 3 different topics.

this is exactly how i want searching to be done.

can i something like this using plugins or do i have to update the core engine?

Firstly, to correct the original reply, you can actually 'filter' by author by clicking on their name in a post description (links to page ~/author/authorname.aspx which displays only the posts by said author).

You can apply as many tags as you like to each post.  With a bit of customising the search function, you can probably achieve what you're after.

What's useful is that most of the functionality of searching etc are generated from .cs files in the App_Code folder, so you can manipulate them a lot without having to update the core engine.