[more] tag in custom theme.. (problem)

Topics: Controls, Themes
Apr 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Hi.

I am trying to create a custom theme and when I display a post that uses the more tag, instead of it splitting the post, it shows the tag and all the following content.

I know that I must be missing somehting simple.

HELP (feeling pretty stupid)

Rob
May 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Hi Rob, [more] is theme independent since it's handled by the built-in BreakPost extension.

Can you check the BreakPost extension is enabled in your admin panel?
If it's enabled, do you enter [more] in the blog editor or HTML mode?

Switching to HTML might cause trouble according to this thread:
using [more]

Cheers,
Mike

BTW: asking for help is rather smart if you'd ask me
May 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Edited May 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

In order yes and yes.. I did look a the previous thread, but it doesn't seem to apply, as when I use any theme, except one I am trying to create, the post stops at the more and works as expected.

What I am using in the postview.ascx file is <%=post.content%>

could this be the issue?
I have looked at a number of other themes and it seems there are a number of ways to return the post content. Including <% =Text%> (althougth this seems to apply to the comment.ascx file more.)

It doesn't seem to matter which of these I have used, the post still doen't break on the more

Any other ideas?

TIA

Rob
May 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM
Hi Rob,

You're right, then it's likely in your custom theme indeed.

Use <asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /> instead of <%=Body/Text/Post.Content/etc %>

I'm sorry for ruling out the custom theme as possible cause!
Hopefully this suggestion does help.

Cheers,
Mike
May 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM
No problems. It is always good to rule out the obvious :)
rule #1 - is the computer pluged in :D

Thanks for the help.. Unfortunatly adding this has now squelched any return from the post. Do I need to do something in the css or site.master to make this work?

(I haven't seen any obvious things in the other themes I have been poking through. (But I did notice that a couple used it.).

I am running blogengine 1.3.1.0

Rob.

PS After struggling whit Wordpress a few times, this is still much easier and better!! - Sorry to keep you thinking about this.. IF I can figure it out, I will post back.
May 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM
OK>>>>
That was perverse.

I followed a video that demonstrated use of a code behind. Being an aspx developer, I tend to like code behind.

CODE BEHIND DOESN'T PLAY NICE.

the code behind was inheriting from blog. etc, but you need to directly inherit in the postcomment.ascx file. NO CODEBEHIND@!!!!@!@#

Hopefully this will save someone else alot of frustration.

Rob

PS Mike... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! seriously. Without it, this would have driven me totally insane.

PPS I still think this beats the C$%p out of wordpress. I had actually built a dotnet front end to a wordpress blog once.. Just to get everything i wanted. (I HATE PHP:)