How to create a separate blog page?

Topics: Controls
Aug 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Hi guys,

I've recently installed BE 2.5 in the root directory of my site.

I've added a new "page" and marked it as "is front page" in the page settings. This is fine so far as there is custom content I want to show when the visitor goes to

I'm using the standard theme with some small changes. I've changed the menu to read:

"Home | Blog | Contact | Subscribe | Filter by APML"

For the navigation the "Home" link points to which shows the "front page".

What I'd like is the "Blog" link not to point to the "archive.aspx" but to another custom page that simply shows the most recent post.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for your help,

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I'm trying to do the same thing but I also want the new page to:

1 - be at the root: rather than  Anyone know how to fix this?

2 - I want the blog to be at

3 - I want to have the "newpage" to pull in dynamic content from XML and formatting the content section using XSL.  Anyone know how I can do this?

Thank you!

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Ok, cool.

I figured out my issue here of how to set a PAGE as the "front page" and then have a "blog page" that will display the blog (that is not the "archive.aspx" page).

So I opened up BE in Visual Studio and made a copy of "default.aspx" and renamed it "blog.aspx".

I opened the site.master in the themes/standard folder and modified the menu links so they read:

"Home | Blog | Contact | Subscribe | Filter by APML"

I did this by editing the code like this...

<li><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>" rel="home"><%=Resources.labels.home %></a></li>
<li><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>blog.aspx">Blog</a></li>
<li><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>contact.aspx">< %></a></li>

I then went to the Admin section of BE -> Settings  and did this:

1. Set "Posts per page" to 3
  2. Checked the box "Only show descriptions of posts" for the "Appearance" option.
  3. Set the "number of characters" to 300.

Now when I navigate using the menu the HOME link returns me to (which is the "front page"), and the BLOG link sends me to which shows the last 3 posts (300 characters).

There may be another way to achieve this, but this was pretty easy. Without knowing the ins and outs of BE, it seems BE must only apply the "is front page" option when it realizes the page being served is the "default.aspx" in the root of the BE site. Just copy it, change the name and you've got a perfectly working blog summary that would look exactly like the intended "home page" when the "is front page" option is NOT checked.

I hope I'm making sense and that others find this helpful.