search friendly questions

Topics: Controls, Themes
May 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM
Hi All,

I have a client who wants to install BlogEngine, but is asking the SEO related questions?

1. Can you create customizable static urls (not dynamic) from each of the blog pages? (i.e. domain.com/arizona-doctor.asp)

2. Can you customize the meta tags including title, keywords and description?

3. Can you send a few examples of sites that use this blogging platform?

4. Are there any issues with having the search engine index and crawl blog pages using this app?

5. What kind of tracking does it provide? Can we install Google Analytics on the blog and have traffic tracked?
May 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM
Edited May 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Hi Todd,

• 1: Can you create customizable static urls (not dynamic) from each of the blog pages? (i.e. domain.com/arizona-doctor.asp)
Yes, it's called the "slug" of a post (i.e. force an URL instead of constructed based on the title).
Put in "arizona-doctor" and the URL becomes domain.com/post/arizona-doctor.aspx
or domain.com/post/2007/05/03/arizona-doctor.aspx if you enable the "Add date to post links" setting

Slugs for static pages (as opposed to a time-based blog posting) will be supported in BE.NET 1.4
A page URL looks like this then: domain.com/page/arizona-doctor.aspx
  • 2: Can you customize the meta tags including title, keywords and description?
Yes, for a blog post you can set the title (and different slug/URL as explained above), the description and tags (which serves as meta keywords)
  • 3: Can you send a few examples of sites that use this blogging platform?
  • 4: Are there any issues with having the search engine index and crawl blog pages using this app?
None anymore (afaik) since this Serious SEO Problem has been fixed in 1.3.0.4
  • 5: What kind of tracking does it provide? Can we install Google Analytics on the blog and have traffic tracked?
You can install any tracking code you want in the Tracking Script section in the admin control panel.
Paste your Google Analytics script in there and BE.NET automatically includes it at the bottom of each page

Welcome Todd to our BlogEngine.NET community!

Cheers,
Mike
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM
You can try my new Blogengine extension:

SEO Pack