Locked out of Admin?????

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 6, 2008 at 7:48 PM
Assume I'm a web moron and you'd be pretty close to correct. So I downloaded BlogEngine, set up an acct. and began to mess around setting it up. Next think I know, after making a number of changes and adding a little content, my access to the admin panel disappears. All I can get is a Change Password screen. So I changed it and still no access. Is there actually any live-by-phone tech support for morons who can't begin to describe what their problem is?

Frustrated and ready to quit.
May 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Did you modify anything in the Users tab of the control panel? If so, did you accidentially delete the Admin account?

You can reset it by going into your users.xml file inside ~/App_Data/. It should have the Admin username and the Admin password in there. You can change it to anything you want.

The change then takes place when your web server service is restarted (or a change is made to the web.config file and it is picked up by ASP.NET).

As for if there is a tech support number, not that I know of. Most of the support for blogengine is done through user contributions. Most open source projects operate that way lately.
May 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM
At the very worst you should be able to copy the users.xml and roles.xml file from the original zip file you downloaded back into the ~/app_data folder. This will put you back to the default admin credentials. Then you should log in with admin and create a new account. Grant administrator to the newly created account then logout. Log back in using the new account and delete the admin user. That should probably get you started. If you have any other questions post them on this forum and I'm sure someone will answer pretty quickly.

Good luck!
May 7, 2008 at 2:25 AM

jwendl wrote:
Did you modify anything in the Users tab of the control panel? If so, did you accidentially delete the Admin account?

You can reset it by going into your users.xml file inside ~/App_Data/. It should have the Admin username and the Admin password in there. You can change it to anything you want.

The change then takes place when your web server service is restarted (or a change is made to the web.config file and it is picked up by ASP.NET).

As for if there is a tech support number, not that I know of. Most of the support for blogengine is done through user contributions. Most open source projects operate that way lately.

jwendl,

Thanks for your response. You may very well be right. But I can't get to the users.xml file inside ~/App_Data/. The only screens I have access to are: Change Password, Extentions, or Sign Out. Very frustrating.
May 7, 2008 at 4:05 AM
You don't access those files... you ftp them up there. You need to replace your current files with the original's and try again.
May 7, 2008 at 11:01 AM
How do I find those files? Where do I go to get them?
May 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM
They are in the zip file that you download when you download BlogEngine.

If you have an IM client (Yahoo, AOL, or Google) please go to my site and contact me, I'd be more then willing to walk you through this.

http://www.ckurl.com