How to create a forum page just like this one :)

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and if this question is covered elsewhere in the forum I apologize.

My question is:  How to I create a forum discussion page just like this one?

Specifically the page should:

1. Allow moderated sign-ups
  2. Allow new topics (not blog posts) for forum members.
  3. basic layout just like this forum (first/last  post, maybe an avatar to the left - post count is great)
  4. email notification opt in.

I'm loving this software so far and created the nice little blog/home page my client "ASKED FOR" but now realize I need to add on the discussion forum he (or lets say she - his wife)  "WANTED".

Thank you for any support you can provide,

have a nice weekend - marcus :)

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM

You might want to try Sueetie

It combines BlogEngine with JustanotherForum and other platforms into one.

and its FREE!! :)

Java Blog

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM
thanx for the quick response ...
I'm actually looking at suitee right now ... Is BE+YAF via suitee really the preferred route on integrating a forum with BE ?
Does BE not have anything out of the box?  It would be nice not to have to trough more technology at this :)
Oct 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Right now BE 2.5 does not have anything out of the box for a forum.

Hopefully one day it will.

I personally think BE needs "Modules"   so  that you can plug in a forum or an shopping cart solution if needed.

Like Extensions but with more power and scope.

This will make BE complete!!  :)

Maybe for BE 3.5 ? :)

You can just have  BE+YAF  by droping in the YAF .dlls into the bin directory

Then mirage the role provider into one. 

and then some other mods and in theory should work.

Others had done it.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Thank you for the continued support!  I've been working on getting Sueetie up and running and am stuck at:

3) Update Connection Strings

It is assumed you already created and configured your SQL database to support the website. (

... I can't find instructions for setting up a db??  I know sueetie charges for this service but I just need clear instructions for the requirements of running BE+YAF in te contet of sueetie .. any ideas ???

I'm going down the road of gummybear & atomo documentation for this

thanx !!

<form id="form1" method="post">

Install Gummy Bear Version 3.0

Complete setup details are available on the Gummy Bear Installation Guide. Also visit the Sueetie Setup and Configuration Forum for assistance and to share your experience with others.

Setup Preparation

1) Verify that the .NET Framework Version you're using is .NET 4.0

Sueetie 3.0 requires .NET 4.0 (Version 4.0.30319.)

2) Configure IIS application directories

At left is a screenshot of a Sueetie 3.0 Website in IIS (atomo) showing directories that must be set as IIS applications. Remember to use the same .NET 4.0 application pool when configuring the directories.

3) Update Connection Strings

It is assumed you already created and configured your SQL database to support the website. Copy down your connection string to update the Sueetie SQL connection strings found in the locations below. You can retrieve those files quickly in Notepad++ or Visual Studio by searching for "GummyBearDB" with a *.config filter. The Sueetie Connection String is identical in all locations so you can perform a single search and replace operation.

Install Gummy Bear

Now that we're done with Setup Prep, let's install Gummy Bear!

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

thnax for the links ... I'm reviewing them now :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM

no problem.

Keep us posted on getting the forum to work.

I always been cerius about it myself just had no time to do it yet.

Would like URL to see it working live when its ready.