Newbie here, blogengine keeps exploding on me

May 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM
At first I received some random web.config error message that informed me that I had to turn off customErrors in order to actually see what was going on.  So, I do this and then I'm confronted with the following message:

Server Error in '/blog/blogengine.net' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: This configuration section cannot be used at this path.  This happens when the site administrator has locked access to this section using <location allowOverride="false"> from an inherited configuration file.

Source Error:

Line 41:     <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" culture="auto" uiCulture="auto" />
Line 42: <httpRuntime enableVersionHeader="false" useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="true" maxRequestLength="16384" executionTimeout="3600" requestLengthDiskThreshold="16384" />
Line 43: <trust level="High" />
Line 44:
Line 45: <machineKey

Source File: d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\web.config    Line: 43

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Now...I've been a long time blogger, but this is my first attempt at using a service that isn't ingrained in a web site somewhere else, so you can imagine exactly how little that message meant to me.  So it might've been stupid but I simply deleted that line.  Then I'm confronted with the following line:

Server Error in '/blog/blogengine.net' Application.

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

Source Error:

Line 366:            {
Line 367: if (par.Values != null)
Line 368: return par.Values[0];
Line 369: }
Line 370: }

Source File: d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\ExtensionManager\ExtensionSettings.cs    Line: 368

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index]
System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index) +2880797
System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) +10
ExtensionSettings.GetSingleValue(String parameterName) in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\ExtensionManager\ExtensionSettings.cs:368
SnapShots.get_Key() in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:23
SnapShots.AddSnapShotScript() in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:63
SnapShots.Page_Header(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:48
System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e) +0
BlogEngine.Core.Post.OnServing(Post post, ServingEventArgs arg) in Post.cs:861
BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.PostViewBase.get_Body() in PostViewBase.cs:175
BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.PostViewBase.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in PostViewBase.cs:40
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +33
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1436

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

I really don't get why I keep being confronted with new errors when all I've done with it so far is to install it and then try to use the blog interface to change simple settings such as my Page title and which extensions are enabled or disabled.  Is there some overlying problem that I"m simply not seeing?  This is the second time I've reinstalled it.  Please help, I've run out of ideas and patience.
<!-- [ArgumentOutOfRangeException]: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index) at System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) at ExtensionSettings.GetSingleValue(String parameterName) in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\ExtensionManager\ExtensionSettings.cs:line 368 at SnapShots.get_Key() in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:line 23 at SnapShots.AddSnapShotScript() in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:line 63 at SnapShots.Page_Header(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\hosting\k17k17\blog\blogengine.net\App_Code\Extensions\SnapShots.cs:line 48 at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e) at BlogEngine.Core.Post.OnServing(Post post, ServingEventArgs arg) in C:\Documents and Settings\Mads Kristensen\Dokumenter\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\BlogEngine.NET\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Post.cs:line 861 at BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.PostViewBase.get_Body() in C:\Documents and Settings\Mads Kristensen\Dokumenter\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\BlogEngine.NET\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\Controls\PostViewBase.cs:line 175 at BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.PostViewBase.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Mads Kristensen\Dokumenter\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\BlogEngine.NET\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\Controls\PostViewBase.cs:line 40 at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\blog_blogengine.net\9ffa67b9\c1fcc674\App_Web_v4xw_t5k.14.cs:line 0 at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) --><!-- This error page might contain sensitive information because ASP.NET is configured to show verbose error messages using <customErrors mode="Off"/>. Consider using <customErrors mode="On"/> or <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> in production environments.-->