Newbie trying to log in

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Dec 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I just found out we are using BlogEngine.NET. This project was undocumented and now I'm stuck trying to update something in our blog.

The problem.
I can't log into the system. I've located the users.xml file in the App_Data folder and tried adding myself as new user but it doesn't work. Also I tried changing the password to one of the user but that doesn't work and I'm think it's because the password isn't encrypted. Is there a backdoor admin account that I can use or any other way to by pass, so I can get in?

-- Steven

FYI. I did check out BlogEngin.NET's documentation.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM

If it was me I would download the BE install package and then upload the users.xml file over the one that's on your server. Then just follow the instructions on logging in for the first time and setting up a new user (and changing the password to the admin account).

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:33 AM
Edited Dec 8, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Try the part on resetting admin password in the FAQs.

How do I reset lost admin password?

If you are using default XML provider:

1. Get to your website (usually by FTP to your web server).
2. Open /app_data/users.xml in the text editor, for example notepad.
3. Remove password from your admin account, meaning:

change from:

If you are using SQL then instead of XML file update DB table:
UPDATE be_Users SET Password = '' WHERE UserName = 'admin'

4. Restart web site, easiest way is to open web.config and add a space to the comment and save it. Comments are:
<!-- anywhere between tags like these -->

Now you should be able to log in as admin/admin.

If you don't have Admin account in the users.xml file, add new user tag like so:

<LastLoginTime>2007-12-05 20:46:40</LastLoginTime>

Once logged in as admin, you can delete and create again any user account from admin panel.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Thanks rtur & MGD_King! It's very much appreciated!