Can BlogEngine be modified to update database via Web Services?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Dec 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Can someone please help me? I like to use BE but my settings don't allow direct access to the database.  Instead, everything must be done through Web Service calls.  How can I modify this without breaking BE to get it to work with Web Services?

Thank you!

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM

BlogEngine has XML and DB providers for data access. You would need to implement your own provider, similar to DB or XML, with service calls instead of calling DB. And you would have to create web services with back end on the other side to execute your new provider calls. That is a lot of work, although you can cut and paste a lot, and will make things slower. But if that's what you want - yep, can be done pretty cleanly.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The problem I'm facing is that the database cluster cannot be accessed directly via a connection string and then read/write to it.  To talk, I have to create this whole webservice interface.

From what I understand, with my limited understanding since I'm still new to all of this, BE has the XML data access feature.  Would it be possible then, to simply replace the calls that read/write to the XML file and instead, use the webservice instead?  Where would I begin looking and are they all grouped in 1 class for easy modification?

Thanks again!

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Look under "providers" in the class library. Base class is here, you would need provide implementation that uses web services.