Editing site.master results in gobbledygook

Topics: Themes
Jan 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I recently returned from an extended vacation, and found that my blog wouldn't work.  My host told me that BlogEngine.NET had upgraded and required dotNet 4.0, and my account was on a server that didn't have 4.0.  I moved the account to a new server, and it started to work again.  Only one problem.  My logo on the page was occupying the entire page.  I went into site.master, and added the height and width restrictions to the logo, and now all I get is gobbledygook.  The only thing that I changed was the height and width of a graphic.  What is wrong with my page?  Here is what it produces now:

��`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�������iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼��{����{����;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"��Ey�')=��y6�����h����z��<=���~|W>�Z5�u�A:�f��/>����y�(��G�d^ϲe��!z���Ѳ�Y)5��G��A�8�VeU?������/I=����Yd�E��n�գt����/�q��IU�n �ۻ�/No�������N�|� ��&�} �0��euU���?_O�Y��T˦*s�3�0_�/� �ۼV�@ʄJ��TH�����Y>���-���tY-���e^7�U���ŋ:�[�`��+�'U�V�G����]�ݻU��e��F�v{^/gy]�{�#����.���u��su�S��]���Uq�?��' 賏��E�d�� B����w�^�5�[�*-���wWu5������ȗ4�|��ۏ��ժ,�<���y�^�v�������bn>��?k�� =�K�{������EW��# c��a�zo�N�y6�?���.�r�~;�NZBg�~�/�K��z�|�-��W�ź��Q���&���4B��Q�4o�u�~x|wrt�L37�T����D@��v�� Sl������m�n���&o�by�����F�@��/� @��6+�&����~��5A��-�,�+B��U�����9wE�5}�5$.w��aS���(�WW�b���'�uuECh�z�\����Y��K�t���Ҍ�����S�#P1}S�����7H"F�ʧ�y1�!.���.�ie��7 +������FID����Y� KR+Ly���^��i�]kROK��E��=��'�i�7��dMA��:Ĺº���:|cy|���%���n� �i�|��!"Q�yA�m���,����Z�Y n`��fKH��Ȟ�(g�����c�Oq~�w��B�Y~����U.<�c���x��C�{���b�<C��W�Ļ}�}����ey��љ#m�� 嘼��/�;�7y#�'Yw��

Any ideas?

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Edited Jan 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM

There's an error occurring on your blog.  To get rid of that garbage, open up your web.config file (in the site root), and remove or comment out the "CompressionModule".  It might be defined in your web.config file 2 times.  You can even leave it out (remove it) permanently as it's not needed to make your blog function.  It looks like:

<add name="CompressionModule"
     type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Once you remove that, you'll hopefully see a real error message.  The other change you might need to make is to change the "customErrors" mode to "Off".  This too is in the same web.config file.

<customErrors mode="Off">

The mode currently is probably RemoteOnly, so change that to Off -- and it's case sensitive.  After figuring out the problem, it's best to restore the customErrors mode to "RemoteOnly".