This project is read-only.

Cannot edit or remove widget

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Dear all, 

I haven't updated my website ( since last year and am currently having problems editing, adding and deleting my widgets. I have tried using chrome, firefox and safari with no luck. It works to add a new post in the blog roll.

I had help to create my own theme and set everything up in the beginning but have no help at the moment... 

Do I need to update something? Change a setting? Maybe one of you have had the same problem?

Kind regards, Caroline

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Caroline, first you need to check this with Standard theme to make sure your issue is not theme related. Go to admin/settings and switch theme to "Standard" and try to add widget. Some custom themes may not implement widgets at all and just add controls that look like widgets. If Standard theme does not work either, it might be permissions problem - have you been able to add/edit widgets before?

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM


Thank you for your reply. I changed to the standard theme and had the same problem. So it's not the theme I guess... 

I've been able to edit this before, yes. I have 'administrator' and 'editor's selected under 'user'


Jan 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Deletion of an error throwing (or crashed) widget can be done by deleting widget values file from string dictionary that is saved by BE here -


search for your widget xml file in above directory and delete it.. It may be a lame method but has worked for me most of the time...

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Thank you, that worked!

Unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem – I still can't edit or add widgets. Do you have a method for that too? I guess I could add links etc in the xml if I spend some time to understand the code. And maybe even add a new widget too. It would be a lot easier if I could use the publication tool instead...


Jan 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Hi Caroline ,

Since last year the BlogEngine.Net (core framework) has gone many changes..What version are you currently using ?

If you are trying to add/edit some recently published Widgets i think you need to can use them on BlogEngine 2.0+ versions...

On a second note (if above is not the case) , you can try re-Installing the contents of App_Bin with same version of BE.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Where can I find out what version I'm using?

Found a file called: BlogEngine.Core.XML
First line in text is: <?xml version="1.0"?>
So I only have version1.0? Or is this something else?

(I'm only a designer, not very good with code...)

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

You should see version number in the footer on any admin page. Should be something like "" or similar.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Found it – BlogEngine.NET

So I need to reinstall?

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Yes ! ,

you can give it a try..

But do not forget about taking a backup of the whole installation..

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Here are all the versions of BE released till yet -

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I'm sorry but I have to ask some stupid questions...

Am I right to assume that I have a database (rather than non-database) since I upload everything onto a server (I use an FTP client to ad things to an FTP address)? 

How do I know if I have MySQL or SQL etc? I found this in the old web.config file:
connectionString="Data Source=MySQLServer;User ID=user;Password=password;persist security info=False;initial catalog=BlogEngine;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> 

MySQL I guess?

How do I 'run' the upgrade script? Copy the file to the blog root?


Jan 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Well.. Having an FTP does not reflect that one is having a database.. Databases are provided by the webhost (My SQL,MS SQL,ORACLE) or Generically created with the help of XML like default fresh installation of  BE does...

If your webconfig shows -

 <blogProvider defaultProvider="DbBlogProvider">

this means your blog is configured with MS Sql or My SQL or Oracle ...

If you see this line

    <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">

that means your blog uses Generic XML Database that BE is normally shipped with...

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Sample Conn String of BE in MS Sql server -

<add name="BlogEngine" connectionString="Data;User ID=xxx;Password=xxx;persist security info=False;initial catalog=xxxxx;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />


Sample Conn String of BE in My Sql -

<add name="BlogEngine" connectionString="Server=xx.xx.251.28;Database=xxx;Uid=xx;Pwd=xx;" providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"/>


In case of MY Sql the web host normally provides phpMyAdmin web GUI to manage your my sql database.

To update an existing My SQL database you can find the necessary scripts at

BlogEngine.Web\setup\MySQL in your BE installation folder.

Do not forget to take backup of your existing My SQL data with the help of phpMyAdmin interface.


* for older versions (If you are upgrading from 1.5 to 2.5) , update has to be like in ascending order like

MySQLUpgradeFrom1.5To1.6.sql then

MySQLUpgradeFrom1.6To2.0.sql and finally


It may look scary to you but its smooth if done properly..


How to use PhpMyAdmin (video tutorial) -


Feb 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM
Edit the configuration xml file in the App_Data\datastore\widgets and restart the web app. That solved the problem for me. But couldn't make it work via GUI.