How to Delete a Post

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls
May 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM
Hello, first time poster here.  I am very impressed with BlogEngine 1.3,  I just downloaded it yesterday and modified the web version to use SQL*Server..everything seems to be working except I cannot delete a post.  The delete link is there, I am logged in as admin, the post was created by admin but nothing happens when I click the link,  the status line indicates the link is calling a javascript:void(0)...is this related to using SQL Server instead of XML for the datastore?
May 30, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Hi Vicky,

If you have Visual Studio 2005 or later version, you can open the project and perform debugging locally. You can focus on the following files when debugging this problem:

1. PostViewBase.cs, this is where the Delete link is planted
  2. BlogBasePage.cs, on the OnPreInit() method you can see a Delete action there
  3. MSSQLBlogProvider.cs, you can focus on DeletePost() method

This is assuming that you are a .NET developer. I myself haven't tried the SQL server version of BlogEngine.NET. However, I made a small modification of BlogEngine.NET that I later named it MultiLangBlogEngine. In MultiLangBlogEngine, I totally rewrote the SQL server implementation. There's nothing wrong with the original implementation, however I'd prefer to use stored procedure than raw SQL command text.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
http://suhanto.com

May 30, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Thanks Agus,  I have  Studio Express and have just been coming up to speed on .Net after years of doing ASP Classic.  Also I use VB not C#, so the code isn't the easiest for me to follow yet.  I much prefer the structured DAL approach using Stored Procedures as you suggest,  would your code make it into a future BlogEngine Release? 

Thank you for the hints on where to start debugging...I'll give it a try.

Sincerely,
Vicky

May 31, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Not in the future of BlogEngine release for sure, 'cause I'm not part of the team. However, as I told you before I made a modification of BlogEngine with main capability to serve the content in multi language choice. I've already used it in my blog, however I haven't released it to public yet. There are some concurrency issues that I must test using Load Testing feature of VS 2008. You know, BlogEngine.NET heavily uses singleton as shared resources. I think this shared resources should be given more protection other than the singleton's critical section pattern. So, I have to put attention to this additional protection layer by testing them.

regards,
Agus Suhanto
http://suhanto.com