duplicate records in database

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Jan 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

when ever i update or approve any comment it doubles the total records in the database.

For example if there are 400 comments, when i update or approve any comment it inserts  400 existing

records in the database. 

any help??????

please

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Do you mean that you have 800 comments?  Or is it deleting the existing 400 and re-inserting the same 400 back in?  What version of BE are you using?  Which DB are you using (SQL Server, MySQL, etc)?

I think with the DB provider, when a post is updated (by editing it, or if a new comment is created), I'm pretty certain it deletes the existing Comments tied to the post, and then re-inserts them.  But it only deletes (and re-inserts) the comments tied to the particular post that is being updated.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I am having the exact same issue. All my comments have become duplicated. I am using version 2.5.0.5 hosted on GoDaddy (unfortunately). Any suggestions on how to fix?

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'm also noticing that the tags are duplicated as well. Andy ideas?

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I'm having similar issues (posted here: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/347997). My problem does not involve comments, but the tags. For some reason, our tags are multiplying like rabbits. I havent been able to connect it to adding/editing a post, commenting, or anything yet. It seems somewhat random as to when it happens, but some of our posts have had 100+ copies of each tag. Please help!

Using MSSQL 2008. Not sure what version BE we're using. Where do I find that?

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
hornetnz wrote:

I'm having similar issues (posted here: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/347997). My problem does not involve comments, but the tags. For some reason, our tags are multiplying like rabbits. I havent been able to connect it to adding/editing a post, commenting, or anything yet. It seems somewhat random as to when it happens, but some of our posts have had 100+ copies of each tag. Please help!

Using MSSQL 2008. Not sure what version BE we're using. Where do I find that?

The version number shown in the footer on any admin page. Problem with issues like this is that we not able to re-produce them. It is hard to tell what can be a problem, most likely it is specific to the environment where you running application.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM

All I see in the footer of the admin is links to Make a Donation and to Blogengine.net.

I understand the difficulty of reproduction. We have another blog for our other brand running on the same sql server, different web servers. The odd thing being, this problem is only happening on one of the blogs. I did a code compare and they are virtually identical, except for theme and web.config differences.

Are there any types of scheduled tasks or jobs that run on the blog for RSS or what-have-ya that could possibly have access to and edit the posttags table?

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This got to be pretty old if you don't have version number in the footer. You can also get version by right-clicking on BlogEngine.Core.Dll -> properties -> details and look up "File version".

There is nothing in the core that uses any scheduled background tasks. Most duplication issues come from caching in my experience, specially when you have load balancer and running a web farm, multiple blogs in the same pool etc. You probably could put a trigger on that table to make sure no duplicates allowed, this could reveal a source of the issue when this happens again.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Ahh ok, we're running 1.4.5.0. What's the latest version we could upgrade to if we're running .net v2.0 on the server?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll run it by our DBA and netadmin to see what we can come up with.

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

We converted to .net 3.5 on version 1.6.1.1, so I believe 1.6.1.0 is the latest you can run on .NET 2.0.

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets?page=24

Converted to VS 2010 / .NET 3.5
(1.6.1.1)