blogengine.NET vs Wordpress in Search Engines and google searches

May 31, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Hi, I really hope anyone could be of help. I run a business out of my home and I rely 100% on search engines for my business. One little trick which was recently recommended was to start a blog. I downloaded  blogengine.NET because this is what GoDaddy recommends and automatically installs with the click of a button. A good friend of mine in the same business download Wordpress.

here's the problem. I am totally amazed by wordpress in that he can add a specific make / model of something on his blog and not but 15 minutes later he can be ranked NUMBER 1 IN GOOGLE search.  I can type the same thing and it's not even recognized that I even have typed it.  I have viewed his source and there is a meta robot.txt reference where as mine does not have this..

Could anyone shed any light to this subject? I'm sure it's just something in the setup. I have submitted my website and the blog to google so I know that is not the problem..

Anyone?
Thanks
Gerald
May 31, 2008 at 7:57 PM
You have robots.txt too. It is in root folder and redirect bots to BlogEngine handler.
Edit that file and change it to your domain.
Jun 1, 2008 at 9:35 AM
Also make sure you're using Ping services, it's under the settings tab.
Jun 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM
I think theme choice may affect the HTML tags that are crawled by search engine. As you might already knew, HTML document structure affects the ranking of search engine result (apart from other many other factors). Different theme will generate different HTML document structure. This is because the master page and post viewer page are left to theme' designer to implement.

For example some themes use H1 for post or page title, but some others uses H2 or event SPAN. In SEO theory, the rank of document that uses H1 as post title can be higher than any other tags (provided that the other factors are the same).

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
http://suhanto.com
Jun 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM
The fact that your buddies site (which happens to be a wordpress site) is indexed by Google quickly has little to do with the fact that it is wordpress. More relevant than the blog platform are things like number of relevant inbound links to the site, quality of inbound links,  and  quality of content.  There are many factors at play including age of the domain, how old the inbound links are, etc etc. . If you switched to wordpress you would have the same issues.

Just focus on building quality links and quality content and soon you will be ranking for good search keywords.
Jun 6, 2008 at 10:54 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Thanks SO much for posting guys. I'll follow up with a few other tidbits as I see someone posted there are many variables. Our websites are almost IDENTICAL. We offer the same product, same number of clicks to products, both .html based, same keywords as we are both friends and have both built our websites off of our base knowledge together. But the main different is his blog gets noticed in search engines and mine does'n't. In fact, I copied iwth his blessing an exact BLOG entry which lists a machine...

In response to what someone posted above, I'll try those, but I also noticed you said the choosing of the "THEME" would make a difference.. ?? Whatkind of theme should I try, there are many to chose from.. I guess the "standard" one.. ?

Here is his blog..  http://www.utimachinery.com/blog/?m=200805  (The post where it says SQT-18M) (That's a metal cutting machine if anyone wants to know, well, it's actually a Computer Controlled LATHE [CNC LATHE] =)

mine is http://www.mantamachinery.com/blogengine.NET/   (I think it's down a post or two, also listing the SQT-18M listing) I've copied it exact.

Well, when we go to google, he is NUMBER 1 and I'm not even recognized by google.  Yes, I submitted my blog to google (the blog url www.......manta.....blogengine.net....)

You would think mine would even be higher ranked than his because in the title if you click on the listing where it says I'm looking for one, the htlm page has the name of the machine on it that's in the title of the listing ( Mazal-SQT-18M-, etc, etc, etc)

Basically, I'm not being recognized by Google ONE BIT.

Please , anyone help? crap, I'll even pay someone that fixes this as again, Im 100% webdriven and biz is slow and I need all the leads I can get.  I've been doing this for 15 years, never had an issue being ranked, was always on 1st page in many searches, but for some reason, this is stumping BOTH OF us. He's trying to find out why also, but we just aren't having any luck. Could anyone here help?

Thanks so much,

Gerald H.
www.mantamachinery.com
Jun 6, 2008 at 11:07 AM

BennyM wrote:

Sorry, kind of new to this. I would think that pinging (pinging servers when playing games means reaching out to that server seeing what your latency is) so I would think that pinging would mean letting a search engine know your site has been updated..right? Anyways,  it's asking me to add it (ping service) , what do I put there? Do I put the google add url link there, or the yahoo! link there???? like 

http://www.google.com/addurl/ 

and same for google? Sorry for the questions, I did do a search, but that was a nightmare. Any help and I would, again, be very very grateful...

Gerald
Jun 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM

BennyM wrote:

Sorry, kind of new to this. I would think that pinging (pinging servers when playing games means reaching out to that server seeing what your latency is) so I would think that pinging would mean letting a search engine know your site has been updated..right? Anyways,  it's asking me to add it (ping service) , what do I put there? Do I put the google add url link there, or the yahoo! link there???? like 

and same for google? Sorry for the questions, I did do a search, but that was a nightmare. Any help and I would, again, be very very grateful...

Gerald
Jun 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM

BennyM wrote:

Gerald
Jun 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM

BennyM wrote:

Gerald
Aug 10, 2008 at 6:13 AM
I have posted my comparison of BlogEngine.Net Vs WordPress.  Post you comments and let me know who you think is better.