TinyMCE and object tags...

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:25 PM
I am pulling my hair out trying to configure TinyMCE - hopefully someone here has some experience with it...

I want to embed some java applets into some pages but tiny keeps stripping out or garbling the object/applet tags.

I have already configured it to allow applet and object tags to pass through untouched, disabled the media plugin (it messes with object attributes) and even gone as far as disabling the cleanup checks alltogether. Nothing works.

Anyone got any ideas?

Am I going to have to go the whole hog and dive into their media plugin and extend it to deal with java clsid's and attributes... Seems overkill to me. Why can't the stupid thing leave EVERYTHING alone when I tell it to...
Jun 7, 2008 at 5:24 AM
Anyone?

Mads, etc must have decent experience with tiny?
Jun 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Leigh - you will have much better luck getting answers on TinyMCE forums.

I've been using this editor for years and found the community extremely helpful and the plugin highly configurable, but unfortunately have not tried to embed a java applet directly. I have recently upgraded the media plugin to the latest version and it started accepting youtube URLs when it didn't before... although this probably doesn't help you, it goes to show the community is active as BlogEngine used a very old version of this particular plugin--try upgrading tiny mce first (but backup your current one) before you start mocking with it.
Jul 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM
When I add the following code to the HTML editor and click Update the video does not appear in the post. When I go back to the HTML editor the code is gone. When I used this same code in the example editor on the TinyMCE site it appeared fine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sepzxoJMjZQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sepzxoJMjZQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Does the current build of BE.NET ship with the current version of TinyMCE? Does anyone else have experience using FCKeditor?
Jul 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Adding a few extra tags to the extended_valid_elements attribute in the tinyMCE.init() funtion in admin\tinyMCE.ascx allowed the code to appear in the HTML editor. Adding "media" to the plugin property made the object visible in the editor window. It's a little confusing to me why these weren't set by default. Can they be included by default in future builds?

http://syedgakbar.wordpress.com/2008/01/28/adding-flash-embed-support-in-tinymce-editor/
Jan 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Not really sure if this is too big a help, but I just upgraded from 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 and by default the media is missing from the plugin as well as buttons in 1.4.5 and it was there for 1.3.1.

Changing these lines takes care of the problem.  Changes see in bold

<%if (Request.UserAgent != null && Request.UserAgent.Contains("MSIE")){ %>
     plugins : "inlinepopups,fullscreen,contextmenu,cleanup,emotions,table,media,iespell",
   <%}else{ %>
     plugins : "inlinepopups,fullscreen,contextmenu,cleanup,emotions,table,media",
   <%} %>

ALSO:
theme_advanced_buttons1_add : "separator,bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,separator,iespell,link,unlink,media,sub,sup,removeformat,cleanup,charmap,emotions,separator,formatselect,fontselect,fontsizeselect",