the app_data thing

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM
I'd like to use BlogEngine.net on my own site, which is on a Windows server at LunarPages.com.  Reading the installation steps and FAQ here I see the one possibly unusual requirement is write access to App_Data.  I checked my site and sure enough, I don't have write permission to that folder.  My experience has been that while LunarPages does some things well, responding to technical questions is not one of them, so if this is going to require their involvement I'll probably forget about BlogEngine.NET - unfortunately.

My question is, why would a hosting company not give me access to that folder, in my own site? What is it normally used for?

I may sound like a clueless noob, but actually I do C# development and some ASP.NET. I just haven't run into this issue yet.

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM
App_Data is special folder in ASP.NET to place the data that your application uses. In BlogEngine.NET case, the folder should be writable by the account that runs the application pool of your web application.

Every web hosting company has different policy about what accesses they may give to their customers. My web hosting company allows me to have write access to that folder. You have to ask your web hosting company about that particular matter.

Looking for the solution, first I came to the conclusion that you can choose SQL server 2005 as data source instead of XML. With this option, there is no need to store data into the App_Data folder. Unfortunately, the implementation of BlogEngine.NET' SQL 2005 provider does not cover memberships, roles, and blogrolls. You still have to use App_Data for those purpose. So, you still have to have write access to the App_Data folder.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 7, 2008 at 11:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification.  It sounds like maybe if I didn't use those features (memberships, roles, blogrools) I could get by without write permission to App_Data...?

I still don't understand what the purpose of App_Data is, if my App can't write to it.  But maybe what you're saying is that while I can't FTP to it, the ASP.NET worker process can write to it.
Jun 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM
You have to change the password for admin account, don't you? Changing the password is updating the Users.xml inside the App_Data folder. So, your web app still has to have write permission to that file. Unless you change the password manually.

Yes, the write access must be granted to the user that run the IIS worker process of your application.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 10, 2008 at 7:26 AM
As far I know, App_Data is writeable by default. It's special folder in ASP.NET 2.0 web application. You musn't configure it to writable is IIS manager console.

Regards,

Ahmad Masykur