Using Vista! Watched video. Doesn't work

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 8, 2008 at 11:01 PM

As one would imagine, videos that demonstrate something, rarely are even close to using Vista for an OS. I downloaded both Source BlogEngine and Web BlogEngine.
1. Help file downloaded does not work. Contents show up on the left, but nothing links on the right side.
2. Couldn't get Source to compile so I decided to simplify and first find out what the app looks like. I extracted the Web version. I watched the video and followed as closely as possible since IIS in Vista is nowhere like in XP.
3. Try to run in browser and get errors which I can't seem to solve. 

Line 10:   <BlogEngine>
Line 11:     <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 12:       <providers>
Line 13:         <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core" />

"It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS"

I created a Virtual directory to same path for app: from inetpub/wwwroot/blogengine.
I created an application out of this virtual directory.

I saw a posting similar which was oddly enough "closed" but there were no comments or responses to the poster's questions.

Windows apps I know. I'm still getting used to Web Apps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2008 at 3:56 PM
There is a file attached to the closed issue describing the fix. You need to set application pool in IIS7 to use "Classic .net AppPool".

http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=6137