Installing to Non Physical root using Virtual Domain Root

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jun 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM
I have explained in detail in this submitted issue: http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=6320 but I shall try to explain again with a small diagram of the folders

Basically I have a shared GoDaddy hosting account that I pay for, and I host several of my domains from this account.  So realistically the BE.N is not installed in the physical root of the account, but I have a redirect setup in the "Domain Management" tool for my website so it points to the folder that site is hosted out of, example below:

Website "A" Account (required to be hosted from root folder)
/root folder/
/root folder/b/  <-- this is where website "B" is physically hosted from, this is the Virtual Root for website "B"
/root folder/c/  <-- this is where website "C" is physically hosted from, this is the Virtual Root for website "C"

Now in the "Domain Management" tool in GoDaddy, I have Website "B" setup to have it's "root" in the /root folder/b/  so when you type the address for Website "B", you are directed straight to the pages in /root folder/b/

However the code in BE.N to create the links on the page, uses an absolute path method to find out the location of the files from the folder structure, so therefor my address of "www.websiteb.com" becomes, "www.websiteb.com/b/"  because of the folder its in called "b"

Now the links still work from that path because i guess it corrects in the code somewhere because there is no Actual folder "b" inside the Virtual root folder of "b", but it shows in the address bar and in the links on the page.

Can anyone please help me figure out if I have a configuration error, or if it is just a limitation of the design that needs to be addressed?

Thank you all
Feb 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I am now into the same situation.

Did you happen to get any solution for the issue?